What's new

Still can't get certain channels and frustrated with Direct TV (1 Viewer)

Direct TV is driving me crazy! I spend so much money for the service and, once in a while, I am still not getting certain channels that I pay for. Someone on this forum suggested I change the cable to RG6 quad shielded and I did that and it made no difference. I reset the receivers and it still doesn't make a difference. I paid for installation and I am having to climb on the roof to change the cable wire myself. I call Direct TV and they tell me to call RCA and they tell me I need to buy two new receivers. Imagine that! She didn't sound like she knew anything. It's obvious that with Direct TV, you are on your own when a problem comes up. Does anybody have any suggestions or solutions? Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
I've been there I know what you are talking about. I have had direct TV for 4 years. On a whole I love it but if something goes wrong god help you.
1. when you do a signal strength are you getting signal on all your transponders?
2. I just had a weird thing with my receiver giving me funny names for all the programing. I unplugged the unit and then plugged it back in 5 min later took care of the problem. are you unplugging it from the wall to reset?
3. how many receivers do you have? is it a dual line dish?
4. did you rewire with factory installed ends or did you install the ends yourself. If you installed the ends did you use the twist on. if so get rid of them and purchase the clamp on and clamp them well this will bond the wire.
5. do you have different menu guides. I have,
all channels, fav. A, fav. B, fav. C. and family. depending on what guide is selected it will not show all of the channels that you get.
6. when you enter the number for the station you are trying to receive does it come up or does it say you need to call some number for ordering info?
Good luck

Scott,
Here are the answers to your question based on my memory since I am not at home at the moment.
1. I think that I am getting a strong signal strength on each transponder but I'll check again.
2. I have unplugged it for 5 minutes
3. I have 2 receivers and I assume that it is a dual line because I can see different channels on the 2 tv's.
4. I used factory ends although I only rewired the tv downstairs and not the one upstairs which will require a lot more wire and a lot more work. Does it make any difference that I only rewired one tv?
5. The message says: searching for signal strength.
The problem always happens with the same channels--movie channels that I ordered, local stations, and a few of the kids channels.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Ruben, I feel your pain. Those direct TV service people are in lala land most of the time. They're like robots. If you ask them additional question that they can't answer, they would say "I don't know" and would not transfers you or ask anyone else to help answer your question. They would not direct you to their service tech. I would have to hang up and dial the service tech number myself. They always giving me stuffs like "that's all I'm require to do."
"I'm not allow to transfer you to service tech."
"I don't know."
"Sorry sir, I can't help you."
Favorite line:
"Call the manufacturer of your receiver."
It's ashame really.
About your problem, I can only suggest this. Check to make sure that you or your kids did not blocked out those channels you can't find. You're probably did that already. When I added my forth receiver, it only received channels with DIRTV headings (their own direct tv channel and those that are PPV) and non of the programs I paid for. I called in again after the initial activation. I told the guy that the lady helped me was new and didn't activate it correctly. He redid it and all is well. So I know it's a pain, but maybe you can call again and get a better service guy that can check again for you. Good luck.

Scott Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
Ruben,
Is this happening on both of your recievers? The other post is correct I had the same thing happen to me. I installed a new HDTV sat box and when they took out the old they totally screwed up my package. I was on the phone with direct tv for about an hour unplugging my four boxes resetting them and having them reinitiate them. finally everything worked like a champ.
I wouldnt rewire any thing else until you know you have too. GOOD LUCK
Scott

Scott,
I checked the transponders and I noticed that all the even ones have no signal strength. It says to move the dish 3 degrees. I didn't install the satellite so I have no idea how to move the dish 3 degrees.
Rubén

Scott Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
Ruben,
That sounds like the problem. I know you didn’t install it but you might want to fix it. It may take weeks to get your installer back.
I didn’t install my first dish but I have moved it because of tree growth and added a second dish for HDTV. It’s not that hard. Now that you have the dish hitting the satellite go up and slowly tweak it. If you can I strongly recommend you bring out a TV with you it makes it a whole lot easier. What I did is just strung an extension cord and then an RG6 cable from the receiver out to my satellite location and hooked it up to a 13" TV or bring out the receiver TV and hook it directly to the dish. I have also called from a cordless phone while my wife or kids sit and watch the screen.
First write down the elevation that is on the arm of the dish and mark what direction its pointing. Slowly move the dish right or left and see what happens with your signal. Make sure you change transponders to make sure you are hitting high strength on all odd and even transponders. Then slowly move the dish elevation up or down and watch your strength. Once you hit it and have all transponders working you can slowly dial in to get the best strength. Once you have the best signal tighten down all bolts as tight as you can but again watch the signal some times tightening the bolts it moves the dish a tad and you loose a little strength. Again its not that hard once you hit the satellite all you need to do now is fine tune it. Again good luck keep me posted.
I just spent this past weekend trimming my neighbor’s trees and moving my HDTV dish for better reception. If you have one of those screw driver type wrenches 7/16" that will also make life easier.

Where does it tell you on the dish what direction and elevation it is pointing to? Also, do I need to touch the elevation at all when it is telling me to move the dish 3 degrees?

Scott Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
The tilt or elevation is located on the dish its self on the arm that holds it to the mounting bracket this is up or down. You will see on the side of the dish a nut that then has some tick marks and elevation marks next to it This is your elevation. The azimuth is where you point the dish in relation to where the satellite is from your location. You can do the azimuth with a compass. Since you are already hitting the satellite all you need to do is slowly move the dish side to side or up and down to pinpoint your signal. I'm talking millimeters when you move it. Once you start doing it and see what happens to your signal strength you will see what I mean. Again all you need to do is slowly move the satellite right to left and then up and down. You will see the signal meter either get stronger or weaker as you go. Of coarse you want stronger.
Since the hard part of hitting the satellite is done all you need to do is fine tune it. It may sound complicated but honestly its not.
You didn’t have this problem when they first installed it? Probably a good wind got a hold of it and knocked it out of position. It probably will be a slight twist and boom your back in business. Good luck

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Ruben,
In the case of missing transponders it boils down to a couple of things.
If you are missing all the Odd transponders then it's either a bad LNB piece or your receiver took a zap.
If you are missing all the even transponders then the culprit is the cabling/connectors/switches.
Here is a question I posted on the dbsforum a while ago.
http://www.dbsforums.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002702.html
Good Luck,
Jeff

Now I am more confused than ever. I don't know if I should be messing with the dish if that is not the problem and i could make it worse. One thing, though, this only happens sometimes, not all the time. And it's only certain channels that are affected.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Ruben,
You are correct. You shouldn't have to move the dish at all. You may end up losing all your channels then.
If it's happening only some of the times it must be a cable or connector problem.
Jeff

Jack

Agent
Actually I had this same problem 1 time where either the even or odd gets a signal and the other doesnt. My problem was a surge through the phone line knocked it out, lost a modem, and a phone the same day. They had to replace a part on my RCA Directtv receiver, but they knew this was the problem when I called tech support. Surprised they did not mention this to you.
Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks