What's new

Steven Spielberg's Munich - 5/9 (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Good news that the LE is back on Amazon, but my preorder, placed April 15th, still hasn't entered Shipping Soon mode. :frowning:

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit

In my view all that is happening is the pricing differential between the 1 disk and 2 disk versions on initial release in the US is coming more in line with other countries. From a UK perspective there has been an upto a USD 15 price differential between the 2 versions on recommended prices. Prior to any retailer discounts.
Using Fox as an example on initial release recommeded prices are 1 disk GBP 16 to 18 and 2 disk GBP 25 both including 17.5% VAT (sales tax).
So at retail prices they are 1 disk around GBP 10 to 13 and 2 disk around GBP 15 to 20 depending on retailer discounts and whether online as if so they can avoid the VAT so lowering the price.

What does happen though is if 1 and 2 disk versions are available then the B&M stores will tend to give the biggest discount to the 1 disk as this is cheaper so they believe will shift more copies.

I used to find I could buy a US R1 2 disk for the same price as the UK R2 1 disk version, that is now increasing not the case as the price of the US 2 disk has risen, whereas in the UK the high price differential has remained constant.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
DeepDiscountDVD sent me an e-mail today 5/10/06 saying the title was now discontinued. I placed the order last night since my local BB did not have it. Reordered it through Buy.com and so far, so good. No news is good news.

Casey T

Auditioning
I was just at Amazon to check out the info on the price drop (ordered min this morning at $27.99 and wanted to ask what was going on), and The Munich LE is listed as 'Unavailable,' again.

Mine's still listed as 'Shipping Soon,' though. I wonder if they already ran out out of whatever they beefed up their supply with...

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Having bought it, I have to agree with the DVD Talk folks. The second disc is underwhelming - just six fairly short, non-anamorphic featurettes. Decent featurettes, but still. Cut the credits out of each one and they probably don't add up to much more than an hour.

The booklet is just stills interspersed with quotes of critics jizzing over the film. The overall packaging is really the selling point, I guess. But I'm not such a stickler for that and I'm half-wishing I'd gone with the one-disc version.

If this material was all crammed on one disc (though I'm not saying that would have been a good idea, transfer-wise), no one would call it a "Collector's edition." Just a movie, sans commentaries or DTS track, plus a few 4:3 featurettes.

--Jefferson Morris

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
My copy has now shipped as well but at the original USD27.98
At least it is on the may.
How good however are Amazon if I complain about the reduction of USD2, is it worth it, will the refund the difference ?

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

I'm looking to do exactly that. It still shows the expected delivery date as today (no way, since it shipped from the midwest to the east coast in the early morning hours). It will probably be delivered tomorrow. I'm looking into trying to get them to refund the $2 difference, if I can. Even though I'm getting free 2-day deliveries with the Prime program for 3 months.

Joel

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ordered mine on Friday afternoon...got it yesterday when I got home from work. No probs whatsoever.

Gonna watch this weekend.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Just called customer service and they couldn't make the adjustment yet since the product is not shown as available right now. They did say that should the product become available at the $25.99 price within 30 days to call back and they would take care of the adjustment. I'll keep checking on their site and here, but it should be no problem getting the refund. At that price (delivered) I don't feel as ripped off on the differential. This has happened before on Universal/Spielberg releases (like Schindler's List).

Has anyone checked for availability at Costco? They sometimes come in with unexpected prices for special editions.

Joel

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Nothing at my Costco. I think a couple of other people said there was none at their's as well. Mine shipped from DDD yesterday so I guess I just made the cut for their availability.

I'm a bid dissapointed to hear that the features are a bit lackluster. Especially since the featurette credits seem to eat up a decent portion of the total running time. If we are being asked to pay this premium, we should, at least get a uninterrupted feature length doc. I'm getting sick of these individual 29:59 or less featurettes, each with their own credits on a premium package.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
My DDD order shipped out last night (placed 05/09), while my Amazon order still isn't "shipping soon". I cancelled it, even though I had it at $25.99 minus A9.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
DDD is not even showing it on their site anymore. "There is no information for this item yet".

My order from Buy.com shipped yesterday.

Amazon says:
Availability: THIS TITLE IS CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE. If you would like to purchase this title, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it has become available

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered this from Barnes & Noble.com last night (Wednesday) and it shipped today. The only hitch is the price went up $4 since yesterday. Shipping is free, though.

I also friggin' HATE these two-tiered releases. I actually did not buy War of the Worlds or Walk the Line because I could not find the 2-disc versions the week of release. The major chain stores in my town (WalMart, Meijer) don't carry them. I also skipped King Kong altogether. Didn't figuire it was worth it.

Michal Sterzycki

Auditioning
Real Name
Michal W. Sterzycki
I just ordered from DVDEmpire.com for $27.99. It was listed as in stock and 'Guaranteed to ship today' if I ordered right then. Who knows if that will actually happen. We'll see.

My local Best Buy told me that they received notice that this edition was on "national backorder", whatever that means. They certainly had no idea if/when more were coming in.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I agree. Especially considering that it sounds like this is the lamest of all the 2-tier releases in terms of extra features. Less than an hour of run-of-the-mill making-of material for practically double the price? No thankee. (Heck, Minority Report and A.I. had better extras!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks