What's new

Steve Martin is Next Clouseau (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
For an Update to the Pink Panther and with that Hollywood has officially run out of Ideas.

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
I thought that if they continued Jonny English into a series that it would be a kind of Clouseau type role. It's not the same (so it's not a direct rip off) but keeps very much in the same vain as what Sellers did. To me that's better that trying to rehash old ideas.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Except the "they" that made Johnny English (Universal) is a different "they" than owns The Pink Panther (MGM). And until a couple years or so ago, MGM has been all about recycling properties, whether its Magnificent Seven, Poltergeist or Stargate TV series, more Bond movies, remakes like The Thomas Crown Affair, leaning heavily on their library has been what MGM does. They've gotten away from it recently, but this project's been percolating for a long time.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Roberto Bergnini was the last "new" Clouseau. I think Martin might be too old for Clouseau, anyway. If it was up to me, I'd cast Bobcat Goldthwaite as the new Clouseau and Dabney Coleman as Lastrade, and a horse as the jewel thief, and then I'd call the new film, A Trot in the Dark.

I'd pay serious money to see *that*.

Real Name
Anthony
SGT BILKO was one of the all-time worst ideas EVER, both in concept and in execution. To take on a role that is so identified with one particular comedian is virtually suicidal. What is WRONG with Steve Martin that he wants to do that TWICE ??!! What's his next movie - a remake of CITY LIGHTS ?

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais

I didn't mean it like that. Just that Jonny English is so like the role that we (being the viewing public) can think of that franchise as the "new Pink Panther." Having another Pink Panther is just a dumb idea IMO (But then again, MGM can do whatever they want). I don't know if what I'm trying to say is coming across like I would like it to.

Keith M.

Second Unit
You would think they learned there lesson w/ Trail of the Pink Panther and the other crap that followed...

Peter Sellers is the only clouseau there will ever be R.I.P...:frowning:

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Personally I think Harry Knowles had a reasonable idea, since the Pink Panther is the diamond, why not just have them play new characters rather than making them be Clouseau all the time. I mean Diamonds are forever ;)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I am a HUGE Steve Martin fan. I just haven't liked any of his more recent films. I haven't liked from Sgt. Bilko onward. It's a shame too, he is a comic genius ( or maybe was). I heard he was making a screenplay for Shopgirl and haven't heard anything since.

I'm not sure how I feel about a Pink Panther movie. I wasn't a fan of the series.

*wishes Martin would get back to the good old comedy he use to do*

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Steve Martin's in the THAT'S PANTHERTAINMENT feature on the R2 PINK PANTHER boxset, which was curiously left off the R1 collection.

Hmmmm....

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo

Lanie, "Shopgirl" is currently in production and is scheduled to be released sometime in November 2004.

If you're interested to see who will be in it and its current phase of production, go to the page created at the Internet Movie Database.

As for the Pink Panther idea, I don't know. Steve Martin seems suited for the role thanks to his reputation of being "a wild and crazy guy", but still, it could turn out to be like "Sgt. Bilko", which even he has come to regret doing. He even said himself, "I didn't feel funny."

It's possible that he might stop making movies for a while if he doesn't feel funny in the role.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks