The new Inspector Clouseau is...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Weinberg, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Steve Martin!

Now, I'm not exactly thrilled that MGM is planning a remake (or a series of remakes) based on the Blake Edwards/Peter Sellers films...but if they're dead-set on doing it...

...at least they hired the right actor. Steve's my favorite actor, PERIOD, and has been since I was about 11. I grimaced through the torture that was Bringing Down the House, and I'm gritting my teeth in anticipation of the upcoming Cheaper By the Dozen rehash coming next month. And I'll be seeing Looney Tunes: Back in Action later today. Two of my most beloved Hollywood personalities in the same movie! (S. Martin and D. Duck!)

So as unnecessary as a new Pink Panther seems to be, at least they hired a truly funny man to fill the role.

Source: Yahoo!

2. George See

George See Second Unit

Steve Martin [​IMG]

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

good choice indeed

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Good for the movie, bad for Steve. He should know better than to try and outdo Sellers. It can't be done.

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    why would you say martin intends to outdo sellers.

i would surmise he is just going to offer his take on the character.

7. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    How long has it been since Steve Martin was genuinely funny in a movie? It's been a couple of decades now hasn't it? Peter Sellers is a hard act to follow, he WAS Inspector Clouseau. The only way this could work is if Steve Martin wasn't playing that character, does he even have to be French? Steve Martin with an outrageous French accent? I can already hear the groans in the audience. Martin played Sgt.Bilko a few years ago, how successful was that?

Sorry for the downbeat post, I was a huge fan of Martin's early work, The Jerk, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Man With Two Brains, Roxanne etc. He was fantastic in those. And than.. in the 90's.. he just stopped being funny.

8. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    he doesnt do as much "funny" anymore.
    recently he has done novacaine, and the sspanish prisoner.
    i think his last really good movie was a simple twist of fate.
    a very good remake of Silas Marner

9. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Like John Stewart said to Brendan Fraser, "Don't you people have agents anymore?"

10. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

Because this is an iconic character created on film by Peter Sellers. It's not a centuries old Shakespeare character which has a tradition of being reinterpreted, it's a character which has existed in the age of film, which unlike the stage can freeze an actor's interpretation for all time that Martin will have to work against. I love Steve Martin, I still think he can be funny, but I just don't think that this film should be made.

11. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    sure but i don't think martin ever would intend to outdo sellers. only offer his version of the character.
    might be better it might not.

but even if it's not it stll could be funny.

has there never been a remake of a character with a different actor that worked? there must be at least one.

12. MattGentry

MattGentry Second Unit

NO! I really liked the original Pink Panthers, but these new ones...

I hate HATE Steve Martin. He used to be quasi-funny, but now he just sucks. I'm sorry, but he hit his peak a while back.

13. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Peter Seller's role in The Pink Panther has resulted in some of the worst stomach aches I have ever had (due to laughing so hard).

I think it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to have someone else fill this role with nearly the success that Sellers did.

It would be nice to see Steve Martin make a "comeback" ("comeback" meaning be in a good movie again), but I have my doubts.

14. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] bad bad idea

15. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I'll agree that Steve hasn't really been on my comedy radar since the early nineties (my last really beloved Martin comedy was Dirty Rotten Scoundrels), but what should be cause for concern is that Ivan Reitman is going to direct and produce this. Has there been much he's done worthwhile since Dave?

Hopefully they'll find the right chord to make this a success. I'm keeping an open mind, but I'll wait to see how this is going to turn out.

16. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Why can't Hollywood restore and re-issue the ORIGINALS more often? Sure, it's risky, but so is any new movie being financed with a gazillion dollars, and for re-issues they'd have half the overhead (or less). Seems like THE PINK PANTHER and A SHOT IN THE DARK would make a great double-feature (remember those?) even in these cynical times.

17. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Wow, lots of Steve Martin hate.

I personally though Bringing Down the House was one of the funniest movies of the year. Looking forward to the new Pink Panther series. [​IMG]

18. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Pink Panther used to have a lot of phyical comedy due to Clouseau clumsiness. Steve Martin doesn't strike me as that kind of comedian, most of his humour is verbal or using facial expressions. We'll see how he manages.

19. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I think the problem is Clouseau was a part of Sellers personality.Its impossible to duplicate. I cant think of anyone else who could play the part.

I dont think Sellers could pull off The Jerk and I dont think Martin can pull off Clouseau.

20. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

I thought he was pretty funny in "Looney Tunes". Once I got passed the fact that he's acting like a human cartoon nut-job, I went along with his performance, and laughed quite a few times, which is the first time I've laughed at him in a movie in quite a while.

JiM T