What's new

Stereophile magazine reviews the iPod (2 Viewers)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ooo didn't know AAC can compress hi-res audio with a 96kHz samp rate. :emoji_thumbsup: Nice article!

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
As far as iTunes for Windows is concerned, it seems you can only encode AAC up to 48kHz. I tried converting a 16-bit (iTunes wouldn't even open a 32-bit) 96kHz wave at 192kbps and auto sample rate (other options were 44.1kHz and 48kHz) and iTunes spit out a 48kHz file at about 1/3 speed (a 2:53 song turned into 9:07).

Nero 6's built-in support for AAC produced similar results. The track again seemed to be about 1/3 speed, but the file was simply cut off once the 2:53 mark was reached.

If 96kHz is indeed possible in AAC, I wonder what software is available that will encode it?

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Scott L,

Nope, 32-bit was right. A double-check reveals that Windows XP recognizes the file as 24-bit (which may be my problem), but programs like Sound Forge 6 and Cool Edit Pro recognize the file as 32-bit.

I recently got a new turntable and soundcard, and I've been experimenting with different bitrates and sample rates to see how they effect the end result (16-bit, 44.1kHz for CD). In my limited experience, the click/pop reducer in Cool Edit Pro seemed to do a better job when it had a 32-bit file to work with. Anyway, that's a whole 'nother thread. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks