What's new

Stereo receiver best for music? (1 Viewer)

I was wondering, which is going to produce music the best? A home theater receiver, such as a 5.1 or a stereo receiver, such as a 2 channel? What Harman Kardon home theater receiver would be best for music, let's say I use this receiver for music and home theater. What's the best of both worlds when it come to the Harman Kardon receivers?

Thanks

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Hi,
I would suggest that, if you are that concerned about the best quality stereo sound, you invest in a nice 2-channel receiver or separate 2-channel amp and pre-amp. Unless, possibly, you're willing to spend several grand for an HT receiver. It really depends on how serious of a listener you are.
I don't think there is a huge difference in most of the H/K's as far as sound quality. The most important thing would be to get the power that suits your speakers requirements.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would look at an integrated amp or separates as noted above. An integrated is basically an amp with a pre-stage included. I picked up an open box Marantz PM7000 for $350 for my bedroom setup, and I am extremely pleased with it. I'd also look at NAD (a used C-370?) or Rotel.

What's your budget? BIG FACTOR HERE.

Your best bet right now for H/K would be to try to pick up a 7200 before they are gone, if you are looking for a receiver.

Because I am more of a music person myself, in my HT, I went with a Marantz 8300. It's pretty darn good for 2ch, but HT is still great.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
You can go higher in Stereo gear than the equivalent money spent on HT gear. So you need to make some priority decisions. Rotel has some fine, cheap, integrated amps. For the same price, it'll best most or all receivers.

In your case, the deciding factor is money. And what has you so stuck on H/K? I like their stuff and all, only it seems that you're looking only down one path rather than looking at others.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
That article is what made me look into NAD. I have a c370 and am very pleased. www.saturdayaudio.com is clearancing out last years models at very good prices.

My c370 was only $500. I bought an 5 year old denon tuner for $30 shipped on ebay and I'm all set. IMO it was better than the denon dra-685 that sold in the same price range.

If you're looking for an all in one, check out dakmart.com. Authorized refurb denon's with warranty for about 40% off retail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks