What's new

Static when turning up volume control (1 Viewer)

nousername

Supporting Actor
I have a Luxman R-117 receiver, and when I turn the volume knob, there is a noise that sounds like static. When I use the remote control to adjust the volume, however, there is no static. (The volume knob is motorized and controllable via the remote). There also seems to be static when plugging or unplugging headphones into it.

Is this a result of dust in potentiometer? If so, can I clean it myself by blowing compressed air around the knob and headphone jack? Or is this something best left for a technician?

Also, I have a Sony CDP-X33ES CD player which has a mototrized volume control for the headphone jack. It, too, makes a noise which sounds like static everytime I turn the volume knob. In this case, it matters not whether I use the remote or manually turn the volume knob. I am tempted to blow air into the headphone jack as well to get rid of this noise.

Once the volume is set on either machine, there is no static, it's just when turning the volume controls up or down...

I suppose I should keep my gear covered up to prevent dust. I rarely use my stereo stuff anymore since I live in a condo and don't want to disturb my neighbors.

Any advice? Take it to a repair shop or just live with the problem? Maybe I should just sell my stuff and get a smaller setup? My gear is over 10 years old...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, noise in the volume is a symptom of a dusty pot. Try using the canned air and blowing it out.

When you use the remote to change the volume, does the knob itself turn too? If it doesnt, then im pretty sure its just a dusty potentiometer (the volume dial).

As for the headphone jack, is it clearly static, or could it be an electrical cackling noise? Plugging/unplugging things like headphones, or microiphones, or guitars (to a guitar amp) while the amp is on will cause the speakers to crackle.

nousername

Supporting Actor
Both the volume knobs on the receiver and on the CD player turn when using the remotes.

On the receiver, the crackling sound only occurs when manually turning the knob. When using the remote, the knob will turn, but no crackling sound.

On the CD player, the crackling sound occurs either way.

The headphone jacks on both units crackle when inserting or removing headphones. It never did this when new.

I also noticed that when turning the bass and treble controls on the receiver, there's a crackle. Again, it never did this before.

I should just bring them in and get them cleaned, shouldn't I?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Allan,

Nick is right: What you have there is dirty potentiometers.

This is an easy fix, depending on how internally accessible the pots in question are. If you aren’t brave enough to remove the cover (usually only a few screws hold it on) and “do it yourself,” let us know and I’ll give you directions.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Royster

Screenwriter
Or you can try turning the volume back and forth rigorously while the gear is off. can help clean the pot.

This was my old trick and I don't know the consequences.:b

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It's a magnetic charge that builds up. I think dust enhances the charge...? You spray some stuff on to alleviate it, atleast that's what my service tech does. Best wishes!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The stuff is available from Radio Shack. It is a contact cleaner that you must try to spray on the inside of the switch. You may have to access via a vent of the unit, otherwise, you may have to take the outer cover off in order to spray down in there. Once you do, you turn the knob CW and CCW for about a minute while the solution works itself into the switch.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I have an older Sony 32' XBR, and every time I turn it on, it gives static for a few seconds then it goes away. I unhooked the receiver, vcr, dvd, and it still does it. Any opinions?? Thanks!!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The static is from the volume control when you turn it on, or does the unit itself make a static sound when you turn it on?

nousername

Supporting Actor
Success!!!

I bought a can of compressed air and sprayed generously in and around every knob. It worked! For some reason, the little motorized volume knob on the CD player also needed the vigorous turning as mentioned by John before it yielded silence.

I love my stereo again! Thanks everybody.

DeT

Agent
I have an older Sony 32' XBR, and every time I turn it on, it gives static for a few seconds then it goes away. I unhooked the receiver, vcr, dvd, and it still does it. Any opinions?? Thanks!!
I have the same problem with my Sharp 25 too, it only start to appear during the last couple of months or so. The static on mine doesn't appear to be volume related, its like the screen or something else.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Nick...

It's from the TV itself. The volume could be all the way down, and when I turn the TV on it makes the static sound. Maybe one out of twenty times does it make the noise when the TV has been into playing for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks