What's new

Starting Fresh - Main Speaker Advice Requested! (1 Viewer)

Tomas_S

Agent
I'm selling all my gear and anticipate buying new when i sell my house in the spring. It's time for me to shop around.

My previous set up is a Denon 3801 and Definitive Technology BP2002 based system. I was happy with the Def Techs but I'm looking for something a bit different.

My budget for just the main speakers is $1500-$2000. I'll work on getting the surrounds, center and sub in the months to follow.

I'll most likley be teaming them up with the Kenwood Sovereign VR-5900. Or possibly Denon 5800. I like what the Kenwood package has to offer.

I'm open to suggestions for speaker types. I'd be using them in both music and home theater environment. Please help!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For that price, I'd look at Paradigm's Studio line, PSB and B&W's CDM line.

I personally haven't heard Norh's offerings, but they get excellent reviews.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
What is it specifically that you have found "deficient" in your 2002's? I would recommend upgrading the amplification...something like the new Yamaha RX-Z1 which is coming out soon. I initially ran my 2000TL's with a denon 5600...sounded uninspiring with music...then I changed to a Yamaha DSP-A1...sounded amazing with music. If you really want a killer setup which will be relatively cost effective for you...get some bp2000TL's for the front...and stick the 2002's in the rear! I have found these speakers to be wonderfully musical! Look at my setup guide for some tips: http://www.audioutopia.com/cgi-bin/Y...num=1006931043
Otherwise there are lots of great speakers out there. Audition as many as you can with your probable electronics...and you should find something which works.
Good luck!

I use Paradigm Reference speakers all around, but at a budget of $1500-$2K for mains alone I'd look at some others.

Two (or three) of my faves in that price range are the:

Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10 and 20

Joseph Audio RM22

B&W Nautilus Series

Good luck!

-A.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Adarsh as some good ideas especially the Joesph Audios.I f you want a great speaker for HT and music try the Von Schweikert new VR3.5 it is incredible! I had Studio 100's and upgrade to the VR3.5's and it was a good size upgrade in sonics but not in price/ Audition all you can and let the ears decide.

Good Luck

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, if you're going to listen to Kef (very nice BTW), then you should consider Sonus Faber and Ariel also. ;)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
With a 2K Budget for mains also check out the AR Hi Res AR1's

You won't have to supply any balls for the 15's in each

cabinent (the Carver/Sunfires will do that part..)

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with some of the others about auditioning. Aren't the BP bi-polar?? You will have to keep in mind this different presentation of sound vs. a "conventional" speaker.
There are some very good suggested speakers listed here, also check out VMPS. Like nOrh and avreality, they get good reviews from there owners.
PS Don't forget the SVS subs :)

george king

Supporting Actor
I said to listen to Kefs, but John's suggestion of auditioning some of the Sonus Faber speakers is also an excellent suggestion (they would be my second choice, and I do not know why I didn't suggest them - post holiday brain lock I guess).

Do listen to lots of speakers with material that you are familiar with.

Hope this helps.

Tomas_S

Agent
Thanks for all the recomendations!

I've been considering several names and will start auditioning in the months to come.

I may end up splurging and go with a pair of B&W Nautilus 804's teamed with a Denon 5800. This time around two channel audio is very important to me. Aesthetically B&W's are absolutley gorgeous. That is an important factor for me too since the wife has to approve.

Although the Definitive set up was nice for HT, I never got used to the Bipolar sound on 2 channel audio.

george king

Supporting Actor
The B&W's are awesome speakers. I hate to be pushy, but since you increased your budget, you may want to listen to the new Reference series by Kef that they just released.

Hope this helps.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Although the Definitive set up was nice for HT, I never got used to the Bipolar sound on 2 channel audio.
What amplification have you been using? Any major placement restrictions? I think I could help you optimize the bp2000TL's for music (provided that you have a relatively large room and will be able to let the speakers breathe a bit). I have seen at least two or three user reviews where this speaker was compared very favorably to B&W Nautilus 802's for music.
Take a look at:
Link Removed
http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/S...uct_7146.shtml
http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/S...uct_8728.shtml
But hey...if you need a change of scenery...then by all means do it!

Tomas_S

Agent
Change of scenery is needed. Plus i need some extra cash right now until I sell my house.

I'll do a thourough review before purchase of everything. Including Definitives again!

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
Im running Vienna Acoustics Mozarts for my mains and love them. They may be a little outside your stated budget but I would suggest a listen anyway.

Also suggest auditions of the Energy Veritas 2.4s

or maybe even the Totem Model 1s. It's a mini monitor with the emphasis on mini. Incredible speaker though. If you have an increased interest in 2 ch. music then this, with a sub of course, might do the trick.

My 2¢.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Tomas...it is my opinion that DT speakers and older Denon receivers are probably not the best match...particularly for music. For me, the difference between Yamaha and Denon wasn't even close. Trust me...you should find the bp2000TL's to be very musical after following my setup recommendations...and you would probably save yourself some cash because you could move the 2002's to the rear. For the receiver, I would recommend looking at the brand new Yamaha RX-Z1. Imagine the overall dynamics of such a setup!!!

Still, there are lots of nice speakers out there. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks