What's new

Stargate Universe (3rd stargate series!) (1 Viewer)

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

But, for my last go-round: I didn't mind the club scenes. One of the almost unique strengths of Stargate is that it's happening right now and we just don't know it. It's our earth. Not the future. Not some alternate reality (except for the fictional politicians). You don't have to have Tom Paris explaining cars and rock music to the rest of the characters. So, connecting back to earth life is fine with me.
The club scene worked in the episode but it's my hope that the creators/writers don't overuse the stones/visiting Earth device to keep costs down on the show. Right now, I'd rather have less episodes or less characters than having a majority of several episodes where the storyline is political and/or takes place on Earth.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think the stones are a major problem with the show. This week, Ming Na's character went home and her partner at her house responded with "is it really you?" At this point, cultural awareness of the Stargate program is wide.

The even small use of the stones slowly blows up any "undercover" nature of the stargate program.. which may have been doused some time ago (I'm trying to remember how they covered the fight over antartica) but the use of the stones is just so over the top, frequent and just annoying.

Somehow, they need to ditch this convenience, because it really works as a crutch.. and a bad one. If they could use it so that the stones suddenly didn't work and they were cut loose.. it would be more intriguing.. but if the stone use keeps up, I'm less likely to keep watching.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I said I wasn't going to discuss the show, but I find the stones pretty disturbing. It seems like a pretty major violation to use someone else's body to have sex. What if the officer whose body Ming-Na used isn't a lesbian? No offense to anyone here, but I wouldn't want to come back to my body and find out I'd been up a man's ass or vicey-versey. And, to be perfectly frank, I wouldn't want to find out I had been with a beautiful woman, either. Because, I hadn't been. And, if I was Young, I wouldn't want to use Tedford's body to make love to my wife. It's just creepy and wrong. And what's even worse is the show doesn't even seem to consider any of this to be maybe possibly a problem. If someone was saying, "Wait a minute. Should we be using these peoples' bodies in this fashion?" it would at least show that someone considers it an issue. As tender as the music was when Ming-Na was with her partner, I don't think they do.

Or, is it only me who does anyway?

Arild

Supporting Actor
It's not just you, Greg, there's been some amount of fan outcry over this (though mostly over spoilers for an upcoming episode in which it seems hetero people may get together while one of them is in a gay persons body, which somehow is more offensive than the other way around?). From what I understand, there's supposed to be an "understanding" by the characters that when you use the stones you "forfeit" your body. But yeah, it's still kinda creepy.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought of that as well. If the officer with whom Wray switches secretly has a boyfriend back on Destiny and Wray comes back to find out she's had a penis inside her, I doubt she'd be too pleased. Any use of the penis is violative. If a hetero woman jumped into another hetero woman and had sex, the host would be outraged. And then there's the question of pregnancies and STDs. It's just a really icky road they are traveling down. Call me prudish, but I was okay with Stargate being a rather sexless franchise.

Roco

Agent
Real Name
Larry
I had high hopes for this show,but frankly loose the home front it just slows down the storyline and is just plain nuts. lets get on with seeing whats out there

Arild

Supporting Actor

Call me prudish, but I was okay with Stargate being a rather sexless franchise.
I'll have to agree there, I think. It doesn't ruin the show for me or anything, it's just an aspect to it that I could live without.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think the problem is, looking at the next few synopsis in my guides, we continue to use a lot of the stones.
The problem with the stones is that the more you use them, you lose time away from showing us anything about this ship they are on, giving that ship any purpose (where is it going, why is it going there, etc.?) central questions I thought we'd spend a lot of episodes trying to figure out.. instead they just don't come up.

When they do discover something about the ship, it's brushed over so fast it just doesn't make an impression. Patrick's right, it basically in the past few eps has been "Dollhouse in Space"

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
You'd think it'd be a lot easier to transmit a communications signal over such long distances a whole lot easier than trasmitting (actually, swapping) a whole consciousness. It'd be easier for me to suspend my disbelief if they weren't doing this so often, but it keeps being thrown in my face. I'm also comfortable with Stargate being a sexless franchise. If they weren't swapping bodies all the time, we wouldn't have to deal with this icky stuff. As far as I'm concerned, once the body swapping occurs, it should be a phone call or video phone contact with their significant others. Visiting while in another body and making out is just creepy on too many levels.

Anyway, I thought the purpose of this unmanned ship was to explore places the ancients hadn't been and to also take stargates there so the ancients could eventually visit these places. But we don't see the ship delivering any gates, and the planets seem to already have stargates (how?). Also, there has been mention of planets being in the planetary database. Again, how? If this area has never been explored, how are these planets in a planetary database?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There are ships further ahead that have already seeded the planets (unless that was a part of Dr. Rush's lie (which it can't be, since the gates are already on the planets)).

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Which leaves me with the question... so why again did they send this particular ship out? It's not doing anything.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

Anyway, I thought the purpose of this unmanned ship was to explore places the ancients hadn't been and to also take stargates there so the ancients could eventually visit these places. But we don't see the ship delivering any gates, and the planets seem to already have stargates (how?). Also, there has been mention of planets being in the planetary database. Again, how? If this area has never been explored, how are these planets in a planetary database?

Seriously? They have explained numerous times that there are ships traveling ahead of Destiny that are seeding the planets with gates and sending data back.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

Which leaves me with the question... so why again did they send this particular ship out? It's not doing anything.
The Ancients intended to at one point gate to the ship and use it to explore the previously seeded planets but they never got around to it.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex

Is there any indication as to when they'll get back to the little ship that left at the end of the pilot?
According to the producers, that ship's departure will play a big role in the first two episodes of the second half of the season (the mid-season hiatus is after next Friday's -- Dec 4 -- episode "Justice" -- no episode this Friday).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks