What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (3 Viewers)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

(Kinda sucks that the first half of this is all just stuff from the previous movies. TROS part starts at 1:12)

I think it's effective. The best trailer for Revenge of the Sith is the one that begins with Alec Guinness' dialogue from A New Hope.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Kylo Ren is not a Skywalker. He is a Solo. It doesn't matter who his mother is. The Rise of Skywalker has nothing to do with Kylo Ren. It does have everything to do with Rey.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Of course Kylo Ren is a Skywalker. His mother is a Skywalker. It doesn’t matter what the last name is. It’s a simple fact. Kylo Ren is the son and grandson of Skywalkers, therefore he is one.

I’m no less my mother’s son just because she has a different name than I do.

This is silly. Lineage isn’t a matter of opinion.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm deep into the saga these days as the kids and I are ending the summer watching every film in chronological order.

You know who else is potentially a Skywalker? Palpatine. He talks in Episode III about how Darth Plaegus taught (him, since he's no doubt the apprentice) how to manipulate the midicholrians that create life to create new life, which suggests he created Anakin inside Shmi's womb ("There was no father," she said). If that's so, and it's been hinted at many times (including a recent in-canon comic book, which was picked up in the press), they're all descendants of Palpatine -- Anakin, Luke, Leia, Kylo (and maybe Rey). The Rise of Skywalker? Featuring the return of Palpatine? Hmmmm.....

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Of course Kylo Ren is a Skywalker. His mother is a Skywalker. It doesn’t matter what the last name is. It’s a simple fact. Kylo Ren is the son and grandson of Skywalkers, therefore he is one.

No, he isn't a Skywalker. He is a Solo. It matters what you're father's name is. Luke Skywalker isn't an Amidala. He is a Skywalker. "The Rise of Skywalker" will have absolutely nothing to do with Kylo Ren.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Right

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
But nor is the fact that the humans in the Star Wars universe adhere to patrilineal surnames.

I have no doubt that the primary antagonist being the grandson of Anakin Skywalker is thematically important for the story being told in this final chapter. But it seems too convoluted to name the movie The Rise of Skywalker if the character being referred to is known as Ben Solo or Kylo Ren.

The other Saga titles are staggeringly literal: The Phantom Menace is Palpatine; clones attack in Attack of the Clones; the Sith get revenge in Revenge of the Sith; Luke Skywalker is A New Hope; the Empire strikes back in The Empire Strikes Back; the Jedi return in Return of the Jedi; there is an awakening of the Force in The Force Awakens; first Luke and then Rey is The Last Jedi.

I would be very surprised if the title doesn't reference someone who is literally called Skywalker, as a surname or a title.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I would be very surprised if the title doesn't reference someone who is literally called Skywalker, as a surname or a title.

I don’t disagree but who might that be.
There aren’t any left that we are aware we of.
So a completely new character in the last movie?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But it seems too convoluted to name the movie The Rise of Skywalker if the character being referred to is known as Ben Solo or Kylo Ren.

I’m not suggesting the title has to refer to him.

I’m merely stating that Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is a member of the Skywalker family - by his birth lineage he absolutely is. Whether or not that plays into this specific film’s story is another matter.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And that is precisely why Palpatine is back. Because it isn't a trope. ALWAYS two there are . . .

Why? Because George Lucas wrote it that way? You're missing my point. Rian Johnson shifted it away from what it has always been so that it could be something else that's new, and that is what I liked about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks