What's new

Star Wars Radio Program.....Quite Good! (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
There is, of course, The Phantom Menace on CD (and cassette) also, in abridged and unabridged versions. This one I haven't listened to yet so I don't have an opinion.

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Kraig, I thought I was the only one who listened to these before bed.
Cool story about the StarWars Series on Radio.
GL released the rights to the Star Wars script for use in the Radio Play for...get this...$1. Yep. It was for (my memory fades on this)...UCLA School of Radio/TV, and ultimately broadcast by NPR.
Think of the $1 dollar as a charitable donation and even more as a marketing vehicle. The rights were transferred before the film was released, and it made sense for GL to get the film "out there" as much as possible.
We know how big the movie AND the Radio versions got, and thus, the negotiations for the follow-up stories were much more complicated. I believe that the more the rights cost for each story is directly related to how little was produced for radio in the successive editions.
Also, Return of the Jedi for Radio(more accurately for CD) was a bit of a trick, because someone associated with the Radio Drama series was gravely ill. I don't think it was Brian Daley, but it may have been. ANyhoo, the series WAS produced, and released. Jedi it the weakest of the series, which should come as no surprise, given the movie. ;)
I used to own them on Tape, but switched up to CD for all three stories, when Jedi finally got pressed. They are all great listens, and one shouldn't miss them, given the chance.
Matt

Evan Case

Screenwriter
I like everything about them save Darth Vader's voice. I mean, it's not even an attempt to sound similar. It's not even menacing.

BTW, I managed to find a 28-minute "making of" radio documentary chronicling the creation of the original ANH NPR release. Really excellent stuff, and would've fit perfectly on the 7th disc after episode 13.

Evan

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I'd like to hear that making of documentary.

As for Brock Peter's portrayal of Vader, I thought it was chilling, especially the interogation scene. Each to his own I guess. Also, Chewey and Artoo were dead on!

-Ric

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't know that about the release costs. Wish I had known about it back then ;)
If I'm not mistaken, the documentary is on the Star Wars CDs after Episode 13. I seem to remember listening to Brian Daly talk about the Sound layering over the scene when Luke is fixing the moisture vaporators.
I still listen to these at least once a year. I've gotten so used to them that I have a hard time listening to Carry Fisher or Harrison Ford as Leia and Han.
Another famous voice involved, I think, without looking at the voice talent list, was Howie Mandel. Lots of good stuff on here. I especially liked the whole Biggs story line that wasn't in the movies until the new releases. Also the scenes in Star Wars prior to the Tantave IV sequence, where Leia is on Alderaan with her adopted father.
BTW, I saw the link for the HGTTG above. Needless to say, I went to check it out 4 seconds later. I din't realize that I could order from Amazon UK with my regular Amazon account. The disks will be here next week. :D :emoji_thumbsup: :D
I'll let you all know how they sound when I get them. Gonna transfer 'em to Minidisc and listen to them at work.
Have a great Day!!!
Kraig

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
I absolutely love the star wars radio dramas, ANH and ESB especially. ROTJ, while decent, feels more forced than the other two, the descriptive dialogue is a little more forced than the other two. One thing I was surprised about is that the tape versions are actually shorter than the cd versions. Certain epiusodes on the tapes have been edited for some reason beyond my comprehension. I was really surprised listening to the cd's for the first time after having owned the tapes for so many years and hearing parts in episodes I'd never heard before. Anyone know why this was done?

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if the Lux Radio Theater recordings from 1934-1956 (performed by the original actors in most cases) are available on CD ? I have the few episodes that were included on the Criterion DVDs, but I would prefer to have them on CD so that I can listen to them in my car.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I've got all three. I've edited out the opening and closing credits on each episode and encoded them into MP3. Instead of ten CDs, then now fit onto one :)

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Well Gang,
I received my CD collector's set of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" today.:D
Now I just need to transfer them to minidisk so I can listen at work. Should fit on 2 blanks. I did get the Star Wars programs on 3.
For those of you interested, the HHGTTG set came on 10 disks with all of the BBC Radio program on 8 and 2 disks of interviews and behind the scenes stuff. I'm excited as hell to listen to these.
I'll let you know what I think of them.
Kraig

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hmmm, Kraig, my HitchHiker's Collector's Edition (which I found through the earlier link in this thread) arrived on Saturday, but it was only 8 discs. The original radio shows are 2 per disc, for a total of 6 discs. Douglas Adams' Guide to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is on 2 discs.

- Steve

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
My Bad, I didn't get a chance to dig too much into it and thought I counted 10. :b I'll be better in the future...I promise...errrr....okay.....done now...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to send mine back and ask for the one you got! :)
Great stuff, BTW. I'm glad to finally be able to ditch my tapes of the original radio shows.
- Steve

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
So...it IS 8 discs? yes? If I order it, which I will, I want to be sure I get the right package.

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, it's eight. And they're absolutely wonderful. I'm almost done with em and then I get to listen to Mr. Adams.
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks