What's new

Star Wars Radio Program.....Quite Good! (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone else own this? ..........
1565110056.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's Ep. 4--A New Hope, only with more fleshed-out characters and situations, since there's so much more time to do so (7 hours/7 discs).
Mark Hamill and Anthony Daniels are on hand, reprising their roles from the film. But the rest of the cast features different actors doing the voices. Brock Peters is Darth Vader.
I enjoyed this audio-only version of one of America's greatest movies. John Williams' music is intact throughout, plus the original SW sound effects. It's worth a listen!
And then there's always the Empire Strikes Back radio show. ............
1565110072.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I don't have the "Empire" CDs. Anybody got it? Reviews? Thanks.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I used to check this out all the time on casettes at the library. Loved it. Never heard 5 and 6 though. Almost bought Episode 4 on CD the other day, but couldn't part with that much cash. I will someday I'm sure.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I listened to A new Hope live on the radio when it was broadcast with headphones when I was a kid. Was a lot of fun. Like the old daze... I remember waiting every week for the next episode. Nice to use the imagination. If you can, listen to "The third Man" radio show with orson Welles... It's an "Extra" on the DVD! Or get "The War of The Worlds"
Phenomenal stuff.
:) D

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I was a big fan of this when National Public Radio originally aired it more than 20 years ago! Empire wasn't quite as good, and ROTJ didn't even have Mark Hamill, and was much shorter. But me being the completist, I had to own all 3 of course!

My favorite Radio Drama of all time was the BBC's 13 Hour version of The Lord of the Rings, followed closely by The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy!

I sure wish radio would have another radio drama resurgence!

-Ric

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
As big a fan as I am of Star Wars, I have never heard the radio dramas. I always assumed that it wouldn't be nearly as good as watching the movies since all of the Star Wars movies rely so heavily on visuals to tell the story.

Are they expensive? I may just purchase all three.

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
To be honest, If you're a Star Wars fan, this is the best way to experience the story. There's a lot of story line that was cut from the movies that are a part of these scripts. Fully authorized by GL by the way.
I first listened to them as a kid and made copies of a friend's tapes of Empire Strikes Back. When they were released on CD I immediately picked up the collectors set of eps 4 and 5. 6 didn't come out until way later, sort of as an after thought.
The coolest thing about them is picking out the voices of some of the actors. Some pretty famous names in there. Mark Hamill and Anthony Daniels were a part of the original cast on the radio plays, but my favorite was John Lithgow as Yoda. He did a great job.
The only problem I had with them was that Mark didn't reprise in episode 6. But if I'm not mistaken, the voice was done by the same actor that voiced the role of Raiden in Metal Gear Solid II on PS2.
I would Highly recommend these Disks, Tapes. Especially listening to one or two episodes a night before you fall asleep in bed. There is nothing likle the ole imagination for some truely awe inspiring visuals ;)
Kraig
Almost forgot Here's the link for the full collectors set with all 3 eps.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...720782-5507863

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link David, I will definately be checking them out!

I had a case of these things in my car. It was broken into and all my prized radio dramas, the classics as well as the newer ones I had mentioned, were stolen, along with three other cases of cassettes containing music. I'm sure the A-hole that stole them and ralized what he had probably said "WTF?" and tossed them. I was really upset, but over the last five years I have been able to replace many of them. Some of the older ones though, will never be able to replace.

Funny thing... I was going down to NYC to see Letterman and thought my car would be safer in the Albany train station parking lot...Big Mistake!

-Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
There was a "Suspense" like series in the early 80's that I can't recall the name right now, but I had some pretty good episodes of it. It looks like that website has alot of the older stuff I had lost, Suspense, Sherlock Holmes and those Sci Fi and Horror Collections look great. One thing that has been out of print for awhile is Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I thought when Douglas Adams died, they might be re-releasing them... but nothing yet...

I've seen it on ebay periodically, but haven't taken the plunge yet. I did replace the Star Wars and LOTR sets.

When I originally lost the tapes neither were in stores yet. I was thrilled when they were released.

-Ric

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
There was a "Suspense" like series in the early 80's that I can't recall the name right now, but I had some pretty good episodes of it.
Could it have been called "Midnight" ?

I have 1 ep. of this 1983 series, entitled "Toltec's Tomb". By far, it's the newest radio show I've got in my collection. Other than that, I think the newest date on anything is 1962!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
David,

For the life of me, I can't remember what that show was called! I had maybe 10 installments of it though.

So you don't have LOTR or Star Wars? You should definately give those two a shot.

I remember what got me interested in this whole thing...

In the seventies I used to listen to the CBS Radio Mystery Theater, hosted by EG Marshall. Most of the programs were rather weak and they often starred the same actors, but it was still fun.

Later in College, I made a Star Trek radio drama. I of course was Captain Kirk! It was a half hour long, I stole all the music and sound effects from episodes I had recorded on audio cassette from the TV show. This was before VCRs and the first ST Movie! Now it would be no problem getting ahold of the music and sound effects, but back then I had found a 5 second pause in dialog on the bridge and was able to make a tape loop of the bridge computers!

Yeah I was kinda a nerd back then, not like now...

Live long and prosper!

Ric

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I had the complete set for quite a while (all three radio shows in one box), then sold it last year. I listened to the series only once.
The problem is that I found the series rather dull and way too narrative. After listening to high quality radio productions such as CBC radio dramas and The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy, the Star Wars dramas seemed rather bland by comparison.
My father used to write radio dramas for the French CBC network. Unfortunately, he threw out all the scripts years before I could actually appreciate them! :angry:

BradyB

Stunt Coordinator
Being part of the younger generation, I have never actually heard a radio drama on the radio. But none the less I was a huge Star Wars fan. So when I saw A New Hope for sale at my local cd store I decided I'd pick it up. And well, the CD's add something too the movie. I mean the story the characters it was just 10 times better. So if you are interested at least pick up A New Hope.

BTW I now have all of them and even pick up a few other radio shows like the hitchikers guide when I see em on sale.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I think my favorite part of the Star Wars Radio Drama was the interogation scene with Darth Vader and Princess Leia. Where the film just showed the door slam closed and we had to imagine what took place, the Radio Drama showed us the whole harrowing scene!

I also liked that the first two episodes took place pretty much before the first shot of the movie!

-Ric

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
I have the Star Wars Radio Drama on Cassette. And have listened to it a number of times. I have yet to hear either Empire of Jedi. I hope they are as good as the first one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks