What's new

Star Wars goes into Moratorium...anyone panicking or profiting? (1 Viewer)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Today, Ep 1 and 2 go into moratorium and sales of the two titles will be limited to what's in retail inventory.

Anybody think to profit from this? Personally, I see them returning when the orignal trilogy comes out in November of next year.

I was just a little surprised to get the news today and didn't see any posts on it.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am not bothered as I already have these 2 dvds like millions of others. We will know more on wednesday if the OT will be released next year

:D

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Too many out there to make much profit, if one were so minded. I say, redo them, this time without all the edge enhancement, and make another killing.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
The big Marketing Event at Skywalker Ranch.

Supposedly the unveiling of the OT on DVD, which is very unlikely as 2 days later The Clone Wars will be shown on tv

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Be interesting to hear the news coming out of the Ranch on Wednesday. Some people swear it's OT news. Some people swear it's the start of the marketing campaign for Ep. 3. Some think it has to do with the Clone Wars animated series.

Truth is, no one knows for sure, and Lucas ain't letting anything slip (to my knowledge). :)

We'll just hafta see what happens after Wednesday.

...but I find it interesting that I & II have gone on moratorium. ;)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Never saw much of the prequels (aside from some pan-and-scan cable catchings) and am not too impressed with them, but I'm a fan of the original trilogy, and if they release the 6 movies in a single boxset, I'll bite.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Episode 1 is the only transfer of the two that suffers from EE, although it's a particularly nasty case. It needs to be redone (for those who care). The Episode II transfer, however, is reference quality DVD video. I don't see how it could be improved upon short of a HD-DVD release.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Although I would welcome a new transfer of Episode I, I doubt it will ever happen since it looks good enough to most people and will sell as many copies regardless. The only people who don't like the EE are videophiles like us - which account for such a small amount of the total buying population.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
didn't even know there was something going on at the Ranch wednesday....guess I should have checked my emails ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If the Wednesday thing had something to do with DVDs, wouldn't we be hearing about upcoming trips to the Presidio (this is that Darth Vader thing, isn't it?) from DVDFile and the Digital Bits? Didn't we hear about their previous trips in advance? Or, maybe they had to sign a NDA barring them from any advance mention.

Ned

Supporting Actor
When you guys say "OT", are you referring to the SE's or the real original theatrical releases?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It will be a cold day in Tucson before we see the original form of the trilogy (albeit with restored prints). Lucas has said so many times that those were "works in progress" and that he wasn't happy with them. Just goes to show you how out of touch he really is since the SE's just made them worse for the most part.

If this is to announce the original non-SE trilogy then I will have to eat humble pie.

Dan

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
According to the giant thread, Lucas says a lot of things. he also said Star Wars would never be released on home video or shown on TV.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
When you guys say "OT", are you referring to the SE's or the real original theatrical releases?
Oh for the love of ....

Sorry... this always rankles me. I don't understand why most people seem to think that "OT" refers to the original CUT of the ORIGINAL TRILOGY. "OT" refers to the first three movies. Period. (IMHO) I would guess that's how Lucasfilm views the use of the term "OT" as well.

I don't presume to speak for anyone else in the thread, but when I say "OT", I mean the first three movies, in whatever form they come in, be it the original edit, or the SE, or the rumoured "UE". Do we really need to start saying "OT:OC" or "OT:SE"?

Back to the topic at hand...

Peter...same question as Bill... where did you hear this? I haven't heard anything from other sources as of yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks