What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Lucas shot the Prequels at a more leisurely pace, sometimes taking weeks or even months off, then going back at it and doing reshoots, editing, etc.
I would think that JJA would work at a faster pace.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Coressel said:
Lucas shot the Prequels at a more leisurely pace, sometimes taking weeks or even months off, then going back at it and doing reshoots, editing, etc.
I would think that JJA would work at a faster pace.
Funny, at the time of Episode 1, I was thinking this is like a dream, you can perfect the shots, see what's missing and shoot again.

But they couldn't even achieve simple tasks. Have you noticed all the reverse shots and morphings in the simple dialog scenes in TPM? They are the most annoying thing to me. Like they couldn't even direct an actor to turn his head to left, so they have to use special effects to make his head turn. Most offensive is that they think it's acceptable and the audience don't see it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Speaking of reverse shots, there's a bad one in the special edition of A New Hope. When Luke's landspeeder gets to Mos Eisley, we see a pair of stormtroopers on the left, their shadows falling the same way as everything else in the frame. On the right, we see the same pair of stormtroopers, flipped, with their shadows falling the opposite way from everything else. It's always bothered me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Here we go kids, hero or goat???

PaNLpc8.jpg

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Sam Favate said:
Speaking of reverse shots, there's a bad one in the special edition of A New Hope. When Luke's landspeeder gets to Mos Eisley, we see a pair of stormtroopers on the left, their shadows falling the same way as everything else in the frame. On the right, we see the same pair of stormtroopers, flipped, with their shadows falling the opposite way from everything else. It's always bothered me.
Reverse shots always bug me too. But in regards to the stormtroopers shadows, doesn't Tatooine have two suns?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Coressel said:
Reverse shots always bug me too. But in regards to the stormtroopers shadows, doesn't Tatooine have two suns?
Yes, so technically everyone in the shot should be casting TWO shadows if both suns are above the horizon at the same time.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They should get a little dark with the films, feature Princess Leia's and Han Solo's sprogs as grown up siblings, one is a good Jedi and one has turned to the dark side and is learning the evil ways from a Sith lord that no one knew about, that will bring some emotion to the story, Luke Skywalker coming back as an older Jedi master sounds good too, if Christopher Lee ( his stunt double with the help of CGI ) can do some fancy moves then i have no doubt that Mark Hamill and the stunt double can pull it off.

Bring back Samuel L Jackson and actually give his character something to do this time around, he only lost a hand and Jedi can survive falls from great heights, i'm sure he could be brought back if they wanted to do it, this time make him rougher and give him some badass lines to speak.

I would love it if one of the spinoff films featured a timeline set between the clone wars, they could bring back Ewan McGregor and Hayden and Yoda and have a good adventure story in there, for me the clone wars didn't feature enough in the films, we got the start and we got the end of them, sure they had the animated TV series but i want a live action film, both Ewan and Hayden are still young enough to do it.

I just hope for a well thought out epic storyline, say what you want about the original and prequel stories but i thought they had epic storylines even if some of the dialog was clunky, that never stopped me enjoying all of them, though this is a chance for them to improve on things, i still think fans will moan, at least we shouldn't hear anymore about how Lucasfilm messed with their childhood, now it'll be moans about lens flare in a Star Wars film or something else.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
They should get a little dark with the films...
I'm guessing that since that with Batman's success, that's what will happen but I'm hoping for the exact opposite. Everything is dark and serious now to the point that it's a cliche. Like the original Star Wars did, this new one should go against the current grain and make a fun, humorous adventure movie. It's not like you can't have serious stuff in a movie like that (Luke's aunt and uncle are killed and burned [maybe alive!], Princess Leia's planet gets blown up [billions dead], Luke blows up the Death Star [kills a million guys]) but it doesn't have people brooding about and wallowing in how dark things are, it still is a fun movie to watch.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
I'm guessing that since that with Batman's success, that's what will happen but I'm hoping for the exact opposite. Everything is dark and serious now to the point that it's a cliche. Like the original Star Wars did, this new one should go against the current grain and make a fun, humorous adventure movie. It's not like you can't have serious stuff in a movie like that (Luke's aunt and uncle are killed and burned [maybe alive!], Princess Leia's planet gets blown up [billions dead], Luke blows up the Death Star [kills a million guys]) but it doesn't have people brooding about and wallowing in how dark things are, it still is a fun movie to watch.
That's true, i don't want Batman dark, more The Empire Strikes Back type, which felt more serious but managed to give us humour, action and some darker moments, i don't want Return Of The Jedi fluffiness.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
FoxyMulder said:
They should get a little dark with the films, feature Princess Leia's and Han Solo's sprogs as grown up siblings, one is a good Jedi and one has turned to the dark side and is learning the evil ways from a Sith lord that no one knew about, that will bring some emotion to the story, Luke Skywalker coming back as an older Jedi master sounds good too, if Christopher Lee ( his stunt double with the help of CGI ) can do some fancy moves then i have no doubt that Mark Hamill and the stunt double can pull it off.

Bring back Samuel L Jackson and actually give his character something to do this time around, he only lost a hand and Jedi can survive falls from great heights, i'm sure he could be brought back if they wanted to do it, this time make him rougher and give him some badass lines to speak.

I would love it if one of the spinoff films featured a timeline set between the clone wars, they could bring back Ewan McGregor and Hayden and Yoda and have a good adventure story in there, for me the clone wars didn't feature enough in the films, we got the start and we got the end of them, sure they had the animated TV series but i want a live action film, both Ewan and Hayden are still young enough to do it.

I just hope for a well thought out epic storyline, say what you want about the original and prequel stories but i thought they had epic storylines even if some of the dialog was clunky, that never stopped me enjoying all of them, though this is a chance for them to improve on things, i still think fans will moan, at least we shouldn't hear anymore about how Lucasfilm messed with their childhood, now it'll be moans about lens flare in a Star Wars film or something else.
Mace could have survived the fall, (and gotten lost in the Coruscant underworld) but there would have to be a good explanation as to why Yoda or Ben couldn't sense he was alive all those years afterward. Yoda's reaction in ROTS seems to be sensing Mace's death though.

When Disney puts out the original unaltered films on Blu Ray, then there will be less moaning. ;)

If only they could be licensed out to Criterion now...

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Why? Hayden Christensen isn't a bad actor. Check out Awake sometime.

If they did do the Force ghost thing again, would they put Ewan in old age makeup, (provided he wanted to come back) or would we get a CGI Sir Alec Guiness?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SilverWook said:
Why? Hayden Christensen isn't a bad actor. Check out Awake sometime.

If they did do the Force ghost thing again, would they put Ewan in old age makeup, (provided he wanted to come back) or would we get a CGI Sir Alec Guiness?
I like to think the force ghost is there to guide Luke in the original trilogy, by now he is a Jedi master and no longer needs guidance so the force ghost should not be with him anymore, i'd hope they don't feature it, i'd much rather see Ewan and Hayden feature in a spin off film set during the clone wars.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Not so welcome news if it screws up the production schedule. If they couldn't get a replacement at the eleventh hour, would George step in?

Imagine the silly rumors that will circulate once they actually start filming!

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Abrams already turned this down once and had to be talked into it. If he's having any second thoughts at all, it's time to show him the door. It's very hard to believe that they can't find anyone who WANTS to direct a Star Wars movie. Sent from my SCH-S738C using HTF mobile app

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If J.J. Abrams was thinking about leaving this movie, it would be a decision that would have a somewhat significant effect on Disney (it would probably cause a drop in their stock prices, it would lead to bad press about a movie franchise that they just spent $4 billion to get and they'd have to start over with a new director on a movie that has to be in production VERY quickly). That being the case, this would be information that only the highest of the high level people at Disney would be privy to and would any of them snitch to some laughably jealous loser like Devin Faraci?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
SilverWook said:
Not so welcome news if it screws up the production schedule. If they couldn't get a replacement at the eleventh hour, would George step in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks