What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Star Trek TOS Special Edition Starts Sept 16th. (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it's airing in the AM's in most of the top 10 markets. don't feel bad. in fact... Trek in general had always shown syndication in the AM's for a few years now. most of the times nonHD.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
CBS has made it pretty clear that they won't be providing HD signals to their affiliates until demand has reached a sufficient amount:

Dark Horizons: CBS responded saying they would start sending out the HD version 'once enough stations have upgraded' but weren't specific on what constitutes 'enough stations'.

--

From the other thread:

It's showing at 12 AM & 6 PM Sundays on KASW. It appears that the different broadcasts are *not* the same episodes, at least according to TV Guide.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
David-

I don't think it's exactly about demand. If I read your response correctly, you mean demand for the HD versions. It's all spin if you read all the comments from CBS Paramount and the stations.

CBS Paramount blames the stations for not using the service they chose to transmit the HD signal by. And the stations all say, no we really want Star Trek in HD, we want HD content, but the way CBS Paramount is sending us the files, we can't store them.

They'll work it out and we'll enjoy these shows on HD. Maybe next year they'll have it worked out and the second wave of HD Treks will be broadcast in HD. The pressure from all sides will make both CBS Paramount and the stations will work it out!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Doesnt it just seem ironic that they do all this, spemd all this time and $, promote it as veing re-mastered in HD with these all new CGI effects and then we're stuck watching them on SD which probably won't even look as good as the old DVDs...? The SD on my comcast is pretty blah.,...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just did some checking, and it looks like Star Trek is airing on NBC in New York at 3:35 am this Monday morning (Sunday night), and 3:05 am next Monday morning (SUnday night), the 25th.

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator

If they really want to do a service to Star Trek fans, they would digitally remove the Deanna Troi character altogether.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
The SD broadcasts aired over my HD stations are still quite exceptional, and I believe these will look better than the DVDs if you're able to view them that way.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
It certainly seems odd to go to all this trouble without ensuring and securing HDTV distribution ahead of time.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
just because it is AIRING on HD channels doesn't mean it will BE in HD. all of the trek syndication/reruns i've seen from TOS through VOY through ENT has relegated to bad time slots (sat afternoons, sun mornings, AM's) and the ones i've seen are always SD.

i don't think it'll be HD @2 or 3AM in the morning. sorry fellas, i'm not even staying up. i'll wait for the eventual release on a HD media. that would win me over into buying an HD player.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
An early review of the new enhanced Star Trek was posted on trekweb.com. Take it for what it is.

Here is the link to the thread: http://trekweb.com/stbbs/showThread....#4509559bcb580

Edit: Just saw an episode listing. Over the next 3 months we'll see a broad range of episodes from all 3 seasons. In a few weeks Catspaw will air. I can't help but think about all the CGI comments for films like War of the Worlds where the wires should or should not have been removed. Perhaps the wires for the puppets at the end of Catspaw will be removed! (I doubt it) Also The Doomsday Machine airs in February, can't wait to see how that one turns out.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

The process of converting the entire broadcast industry from SD to HD has been a "chicken and the egg" problem -- stations won't upgrade their facilities because there is no HD material to broadcast, and studios won't provide HD programming because the stations don't have the capability to support it.

CBS/Paramount is taking the initiative on this. Perhaps the availability of a beloved classic TV show in HD will be an incentive for stations to begin to upgrade their equipment.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Is there any particular reason a station will have both versions but only broadcast the HD during a particular time? For example, first-run Veronica Mars? HD. The weekend rerun OR even a delay because of a basketball game? SD. Is it that they do not actually even have VM HD, and it's fed to them from somewhere upstream when it's time to broadcast? I figured it was just sitting around and they were arbitrarily deciding not to play that version for some reason.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Greg,

I don't know about the specific situation you mention, but I would assume that the first-run Veronica Mars is being fed to the station in question in HD. The rerun is in SD because they presumably don't have the capability to store the HD versions.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That answers it to my satisfaction. I thought they took delivery of these things and had them sitting around to use when they wanted, but it looks like that's not the case.

Bill Coolidge

Stunt Coordinator
Actually KBCW (channel 44 or cable channel 12) says on their website that they broadcast an HD signal at 44.1. I don't think it's picked up by Comcast though (at least not on my cable in Santa Rosa). From what everyone is saying, the HD channel will broadcast the standard definition version of Star Trek. Will it still look a little better though?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Definitely, if the channel that will be playing it in my market is any indication. When they aren't playing HD, their quality is about that of DVD. Probably better, actually, as their feed is always reported as 1080i by my TV. Of course, this is OTA. I don't know how it would be over an actual cable line. I'm prepared for the broadcast to look marvelous, if I can see it through bloodshot eyes. I have no digital recorder, don't ya know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks