What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Star Trek TOS Season 2 Blu Ray official (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Doug, Pat's review was great! I figured the S2 set would be no less in quality of S1! Thanks for the heads-up to the other reviews. What a surprise that S3 will be out in December!

I'll be in line when the doors open at Best Buy!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

88Fingers

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Walczak
Friends,

I own a Panasonic DMP-BD10A blu ray player. I have upgraded the firmware to the latest edition (2.5).

My Star Trek TOS Season 2 blu-rays will not play any of the episodes. The root menu comes up just fine, but when you click on episodes and then choose one, the "play" timer continues to move forward, but the episode never starts. It just stays stuck on the root menu screen, and the area on the right hand side that has the box with the episode information just stays blank. The phenomenon is consistent across all 6 blu ray discs. The special features like Billy Blackburn will all play just fine.

All of my other blu ray movies and concerts play just fine, including Star Trek TOS 1. This is perplexing. I am wondering if it is possible that it's just a bad batch of discs, or if I will have this problem because of my player. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

-Dan

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dan-

Seems you're not the only one. There is at least one other person having an issue on a Sharp Player. Perhaps Sharp and Panasonic models have similar components or software from the same factory. See this thread, post 31 specifically:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/293107/star-trek-the-original-series-season-two-blu-ray-highly-recommended/30#post_3609734

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Time to revive! lol

I LOVE my TOS season 1 and 2 sets!

I discussed an issue with Nelson that I was having with TOS 2 where the episodes would pause during playback on my PS3. After some googling I discovered that if I disabled the internet connection to my PS3 (it's wired) that should solve the problem, and it worked!

Funny, because it was the ONLY thing I've ever played back that the PS3 had issue with, but now it's flawless with network disabled. No biggie. 10 seconds to switch it off and back on when I'm done...way better than keeping my thumb hovering over the PLAY button on my remote, LOL.

Some great episodes on Season 2...Star Trek at full-stride! "The Doomsday Machine", "The Changeling", "The Ultimate Computer", "Journey to Babel", the Gary Seven episode...just great stuff.

BTW, I watch all episodes with the new FX, I love 'em. Gives a nice updated look to it, I especially like that the photons are always the right color now and that the impulse engines glow red when in use, like the movies. Nice continuity.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree Dan, watching these sets have been terrific. Even though I saw the remastered episodes on standard DVD, the blu-ray's are much better! I've been slowly watching these given Season Three is out in December, it will be nice to continuing with those.

I've seen Star Trek many, many times and I know the lines. But I was amazed to still be discovering things. I watched Bread and Circuses the other day. There was always a line I couldn't understand until the DVD's came out so I could turn on the subtitles. It was the line commenting on the state of Television in the 1960's. Pro Council tells Kirk how he'll have a marvelous audience for his execution. He says, "Oh, you may not understand because you're centuries beyond anything as crude as television". Kirk; "I've heard it was similar."

But the surprise this time I watched it was hearing another line that I always took at surface value. Kirk just escapes from the execution and runs to free Spock and McCoy. McCoy says to Kirk, "Jim! What happened!?" As Kirk is about to shoot the door open, Kirk replies, "They threw me a few curves, no time to explain." That was so subtle, I missed that it was referring to Drusilla! Not just all the other stuff. That was a hoot.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Since this has been 'revived,' I'll point out that all 3 season sets are on sale right now at Bestbuy.com for $56. You can pre-order season 3.

The rest of Trek is on sale too btw, I ordered their delux bluray of the new film, that comes with some cool insignias, and a copy of Star Trek II-blu together for only $30.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up, Zack! Season 3 is pre-ordered with BB!

Nelson, my friend...thank you for your help while I was working out that pausing/PS3 issue.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yes, I'm enjoying these too! Have watched them since the early 70s (and my babysitter dressed me as Spock when I was 4 in 1968--go figure!), and yet I'm still discovering new things in these shows. Watched Amok Time the other day, and it was just as amazing as it ever was. The first time I saw that episode, in c. 1975, I really thought they were killing off Kirk. I told my parents that maybe it was the last show they ever made.

Watched Amok Time with my son on blu a few days ago and it still makes you laugh, gasp, and even cry a little-- and then back to laughter again for the great little wrap up ending--"in a pig's eye!" Love the new special effects for this one. Opens it up and gives it a much more epic feel.

Theodore Sturgeon did a great job writing this episode. And the whole cast is stellar. Love this show on blu...

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Question about Wolf in the Fold from the season 2 Blu-ray.

My player shows that their is an angle change during the time the 'Redjac' entity is appearing on the monitor screen and when i play both version (Original & remas.) I can see no difference.

It happens again when Kirk & Spock are on the floor of the bridge looking through the panal at the electronics inside.

In both cases, my player shows there are 2 angles to choose from but when I switch or even when I play them all the way through i can see no difference at all.

I can see where they might have enhanced the monitor display scrren picture, but i can't think of anything they would/could have done to the other scene.

Any answers or thoughts? Thanks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Steve-

I have not watched this episode yet, not on my top 10 list of better episodes. But I'll look for what you're asking about. Though my Sony player does not show the angle indication when a disc has multiviews, perhaps I need to turn that function on.

My favorite part of this episode is watching John Fieldler exclaim, "Die, Die, Die, everybody die!" while under the influence of McCoy's tranquilizer! He's quite a versatile actor.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I watched Wolf in the Fold. Amazing picture quality!

In the two scenes you mentioned, I did not see any difference in both versions. I already knew that, but I wanted to see. It could be a mistake in how they authored the disc.

I checked the original 1999 DVD 2-fer discs of this episode, I don't see any difference.

I wish they would fix the minor mistake with Season One's City on the Edge of Forever. Since this episode is a classic I feel it should be presented as it originally was. There is one scene in which the angle button is supposed to be used to toggle back and forth from original to enhanced effects but it won't work.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh, you refer to the close-up of the tricorder screen. I think it will be some time before they fix that, or if there is a new pressing/re-issue.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Hey thanks. I really doubted there were any changes to those two scenes, but i thought another set of eyes might find something minor.

I'm 40% through season 2 now and after watching each ep. without pause i go back and watch them with the angle indicator on to see if i missed any remaster changes.

In season 1 I didn't realize they stabilized the guards hand as charlie made the phaser disappear. I hadn't noticed the changes as McCoy's face healed in Miri and a few others I can't recall this second, but they did throw in some nice minor fixes in a lot of episodes.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Hey, Nelson. Where's the spiffy insert for this season? What are we paying you for, anyhow?

Thanks in advance.
Doug

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm stressing out the details and design. It's very close to done. But I keep getting distractions. I'm fine tuning the Science symbol that's in the arrowhead patch. in researching it, the design and how the ellipse in the circle is not exactly like they did it on the blu ray cover art. I have an original patch and I am trying to copy it. I also started the third season insert by recreating the Engineering/Ops symbol that's in the arrowhead patch. And I tweaked the first season insert too to match the changes in the second season.

Thanks for the interest! I'll try to get it done soon. I also need to sort out a way to host it.

Since we're so close to the Third Season set release, I was thinking to get all 3 out by then.

What do you think?

P.S.- The three department symbols are not exactly right in the new movie and the BD artwork. It's simplified in the Abrams movie version. The BD sets are really close.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Okay, after watching about half of season 2 I have found several 'fixes' of 'broken shots' that i never saw anyone mention in the various reviews of trek Remastered.

We know ALL of the 'space shots' were redone as well as most of the main viewer shots and the new beautiful mattes are easy to spot, but the so called 'broken shots' are very cool.
This list by the way is all the 'fixes' i know of for season 2---not just the ones i found myself.

In production order...........

Catspaw----String removal on creatures, altered effect on gems appearance, cats face added to two shot looking thru dungeon door

Metamorphosis------ALL windows now open for interior shots in shuttle, rock formation removed and sky added on early surface shots.

Friday's Child------all 3 phaser shots by Klingon upgraded, Graphic chekov looks at over science station upgraded AND
very cool fix for reflection of briefing room monitor.
Originally when they did the overlays to add the content to various ships monitors they didn't add the reflection on the counter-tops.
Most noticable in the teaser for Friday's child when they show the natives on the monitor screens--in the original you see a bright white reflection on the table top rather than a reflection of what's being shown on screen. This has been fixed in many episodes AND may be the answer to my earlier Wolf in Fold question.

Who Mourns...-------the phaser hit on Apollo's temple

Amok Time--------the picture of young T'Pring is upgraded.

Mirror-Mirror------sparks added to Kles agonizer shot, rays hitting Chekov in agony booth

Apple-------phaser hits on "Vaal'

I, Mudd--------Norman's stomach panal upgraded

Trouble/Tribbles-----counter reflection added to Admiral's monitor speech, all shots looking out of Mr. Lurry's office windows have been upgraded

Private Little War----------background of first Mugato kill (by McCoy) stabilized from a real bad shake in original.

That's it so far---I'm sure I missed plenty and i noticed that many things various reviews sited as being changed for Remastered---WERE NOT.

For example in Mirror-Mirror when Marlena kills Sulu's henchmen the effect is NOT altered, sky NOT changed when lightning storm comes in Apple----same with trelayne's parents effect from season 1.
I think a lot of folks thogught stuff had been upgraded but it was simply that the HD clean-up made the original FX look so much better.

I add more as I find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks