What's new

Star Trek TOS Season 2 Blu Ray official (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
On the City on The Edge of Forever issue, I double checked the second sequence when Spock and Kirk are looking at the images from the tricorder and Spock learns that Edith's pacifist movement causes changes in history. The tricorder screen image is the same for both the enhanced and original. Definitely a mistake that the enhanced version is shown on the original version. It looks the same on the HD-DVD, but then that set does not have the ability to see the original effects.

Do you think there is a possibility they would fix this? They obviously intended to include the original effect in this sequence because the angle button is engaged. This is one of, if not the most beloved episodes of TOS. I would like to have the completely unaltered version as well.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard

Do you think there is a possibility they would fix this? They obviously intended to include the original effect in this sequence because the angle button is engaged. This is one of, if not the most beloved episodes of TOS. I would like to have the completely unaltered version as well.
I wouldn't think so.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I would have to agree. They might fix this with the next generation of releases in 2015

While this is not the ideal, if you have any of the older iteration DVD's, you'll have the original version, just not in HD.

If it were brought to their attention, they may offer a replacement. Like I said, they intended it to be there because the angle button is engaged.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure CBS knows about this problem by now. Knowing how obsessive we Trek fans are, someone has had to have brought it to their attention. I'll bet The Digital Bits might have some info on this (privately or publicly), if they knew of the problem and if CBS has made any statements to address it.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard

If it were brought to their attention, they may offer a replacement. Like I said, they intended it to be there because the angle button is engaged.
I'm sorry but it's just not that big a deal, and there's no way they would go to that kind of trouble and expense for such a minor error.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Back on topic; Ron has posted a new thread with the official Paramount press releases of TOS S2 and the TNG films releases as well.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/290615/phe-press-release-star-trek-tos-season-ii-and-next-generation-motion-picture-collection-blu-ray#post_3586713

The TNG set looks interesting, but the real exciting release is TOS S2 for me!

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Reading over at Trekmovie it has just occurred to me, the Press release from a few days ago listed the MSRP at $79.99. Which would be great, but is this a mistake?

Amazon now has it up for pre-order for the butt-hole price of $90.99, with the $129.99 listing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I9Z89Y?ie=UTF8&tag=thescifannetw-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B002I9Z89Y

They could be going off of old info or the press release could be a mistake, though I would think they would address that. Either way screw you Amazon, once I get one season for $60 you better sell me every season for $60, that's the rule!!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about the second season Blu ray set coming and a few areas that would have been interesting if CBS Digital had had more time and money for the new CGI effects and things they could have fixed.

One of my favorites, The Changling has an odd section during the Nomad attack at the beginning. It's a shot of Kirk on the Bridge talking to either Scotty or Spock, saying "That's our target, Mr. Sulu, stand by Photom torpedos". Something like that, in one shot, the camera is aimed in the direction of Scotty's station and placed roughly where Sulu sits. Seems that there was something on the right of the camera lens and the first 1/4 of the entire frame on the right is darkened. Perhaps something got too close to the lens. All versions has this issue. Probably nothing they can do about it.

The Apple would have been interesting if they could have done a long establishing shot of Vaal and perhaps done up Vaal a little bit. Like they did with the castle in Catspaw. They built up the castle's upper area and added a dark cloudly sky. They probably thought it would have been too painstaking to rotoscope out the shot as there are so many shots with the crew interacting with the Vaal set. Plus the outdoor scenes are all filmed on the soundstage. So a lot of work to do the sky background.

Amok Time benefitted from this immensely with the new establishing shot of Vulcan. That episode was a very noteworthy one, unlike The Apple!

I wonder if they thought about enhancing the planet set for The Deadly Years, but probably had to limit the shots for the Romulan attack sequence. And to take the fly out of the shot that flies by Shatner in Sick Bay.

The other example is what they did for a new establishing shot of the planet surface as they beam down in By Any Other Name, that worked out very well.

I'm sure there are others. What do you guys think. Those who have seen the new CGI work. I'm really looking forward to this set, so many good shows in the first half of the season.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Season 1 of TOS is amazing on blu ray. I will be picking up season 2 on day 1 it is released.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Box art for TOS S2 BD box set here. Also box art for the individual movies:

http://trekmovie.com/2009/07/31/box-art-for-star-trek-season-2-blu-ray-individual-star-trek-movies-on-blu-ray-dvd/

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Here are the official specs for the new Star Trek Season Two Blu Ray set as posted over at trekmovie.com. I better get hoping on the new insert artwork too! $72.99 pre-order price at Amazon:

STAR TREK:THE ORIGINAL SERIESSEASON TWO BLU-RAY Seamless Branching Technology! Every Disc is BD Live Enabled!On Blu-ray September 22 From CBS Home Entertainment And Paramount Home Entertainment Featuring The Mobile-Blu™ Application Allowing Fans To DownloadExclusive Content and Control Blu-ray Players With Their iPhone HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – Experience one of the greatest action-adventure sagas like never before when the thrilling second season of STAR TREK®: THE ORIGINAL SERIES blasts onto Blu-ray disc September 22 from CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment. The seven-disc set features all 26 sophomore season episodes, each with superior picture and pristine audio, bringing fans closer than ever to the history and characters of STAR TREK®. An entire disc is dedicated to “The Trouble With Tribbles,” arguably the franchise’s most famous episode for its depiction of the cute and fuzzy, though ultimately quite dangerous, creatures. Starring one of the most endearing casts in television history – led by William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan and Nichelle Nichols – STAR TREK® is a worldwide phenomenon and served as a launching pad for numerous television series and feature films, including this year’s J.J. Abrams-directed mega-blockbuster. Offering the best of both worlds, the second season Blu-ray release of STAR TREK®: THE ORIGINAL SERIES features Seamless Branching technology that allows fans to toggle between the newly-enhanced and original special effects. In addition, the series is presented in 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, the best sound format possible, with the option to select mono as heard on the series’ original television airings. Beyond the Tribble-specific bonus disc, this set also includes “Starfleet Access” content on select episodes which provides fans with special pop-up trivia and picture-in-picture video commentaries, rare on-set home movie footage and new special features on BD Live. Also, every disc is Mobile Blu™ enabled. Once downloaded, Mobile Blu™ allows Trekkies to turn their iPhones into Blu-ray player remote controls and download exclusive featurettes for on-the-go entertainment. The definitive release that fans have been waiting for, STAR TREK®: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SEASON TWO BLU-RAY will be available for the suggested retail price of $118.99 US and $136.99 CAN. Exclusive Star Trek Monopoly cards will also be included in early shipments of the Blu-ray set, while supplies last. STAR TREK®: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SEASON TWO BLU-RAY is a seven disc set presented in the original 4:3 aspect ratio with English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English Original 2.0 Mono, Spanish 2.0 Mono and French 2.0 Mono sound. STAR TREK®: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SEASON TWO BLU-RAY is not rated in the U.S. and rated G in Canada. The total running time is approximately 22 hours. The Blu-ray disc breakdown is as follows:
  • Disc 1:Amok Time
  • Who Mourns for Adonais?
  • The Changeling
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • Special Features:Preview trailers for each episode
  • Billy Blackburn’s Treasure Chest: Rare Home Movies and Special Memories Part 2 (HD)
[*]Starfleet Access episode – Amok Time
[*]BD Live and Mobile Blu™ enabled
[*]Content To Go™ exclusively via Mobile Blu™
[*]Writing Spock
[*]Disc 2:
  • The Apple
  • The Doomsday Machine
  • Catspaw
  • I, Mudd
  • Metamorphosis
  • Creating Chekov
[*]Disc 3:
  • Journal to Babel
  • Friday’s Child
  • The Deadly Years
  • Obsession
  • Wolf in the Fold
  • Listening to the Actors
Disc 4:
  • The Trouble With TribblesSpecial Feature: Brand New Audio Commentary by David Gerrold
[*]Special Features:
  • The Trouble With Tribbles preview trailer
  • More Tribbles, More Troubles Episode From Star Trek®: The Animated Series (HD)Audio Commentary by David Gerrold
[*]Trials And Tribble-ations From Star Trek: Deep Space Nine® (HD)
[*]Trials And Tribble-ations: Uniting Two Legends
[*]Trials And Tribble-ations: An Historic Endeavor
[*]Star Trek®: The Original Series On Blu-ray
[*]Starfleet Access episode – The Trouble With Tribbles
  • Spock’s Mother
Disc 5:
  • The Gamesters Of Triskelion
  • A Piece Of The Action
  • The Immunity Syndrome
  • A Private Little War
  • “To Boldly Go…” Season Two
Disc 6:
  • Return To Tomorrow
  • Patterns Of Force
  • By Any Other Name
  • The Omega Glory
  • Designing the Final Frontier
Disc 7:
  • The Ultimate Computer
  • Bread And Circuses
  • Assignment: Earth
  • Star Trek®’s Favorite Moments
  • Writer’s Notebook: D.C. Fontana
  • Life Beyond Trek: Leonard Nimoy
  • Kirk, Spock & Bones: Star Trek®’s Great Trio
  • Star Trek®’s Divine Diva: Nichelle Nichols
  • Enhanced Visual Effects Credits

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Wow, the TAS and DS9 Tribble episodes will be in HD too! Looks like another HD home run for us Trek fans! Thanks for the info Nelson.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sure Rick.

I didn't notice that part about Trials and Tribble-ations being in HD. I wonder how that was done. The visual effects were still done on film with models, but I wonder if they were editing it at that time on video at 480 as the early TNG was. This will be interesting!

And I'm sure will spur discussion about bringing TNG and DS9 to BD....

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Trials and Tribble-ations in "HD" is very interesting. If they had gone to the trouble of actually putting together an HD copy then I'm sure they would have made a huge deal out of it.

My bet is that it has just been upressed and isn't true HD, but even so it would still be pretty important as I'm sure they'll use it as a measuring stick to see what the fans think of upressed content.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
T&T was an unsually FX intensive episode of DS9, especially with all the "Forrest Gump" shots where the cast interact with the original TOS crew. I'll be happy and amazed if they actually rebuilt it in HD.

If they ever do remaster TNG and DS9, would they rebuild the FX shots from the film elements or just go all CGI with them? Voyager might be more tricky as all CGI shots became more practical by the end of the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks