What's new

Star Trek: Enterprise 2/04/'04: "Strategem" (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I thought it was a terrific episode. One of the best we've had. While the first "deception" didn't sucker me in, the second one sure did.

I'll be glad to see T'Pol finally get her freak on with someone!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Was looking at the ratings and maybe Rick may be getting the oust because ratings were the lowest of the season and that seemed to be what will determine his fate.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought it was a really good episode, too. I knew Degra was being gaslit the first time, and I suspected it the second time, but I enjoyed it all the same. I'm actually glad the teaser was misleading, because the whole "glimpse into the future" thing sounded too much like Twilight (as I said earlier). This show has a history of misleading previews, so I doubt if next week's will be the T&A fest the preview implies.

I like the set designs we've been seeing. I suspect the Xindi bridge was a reworking of the Andorian set from last week, but it still looked nice. And, the fake ship was kind of interesting. It reminded me of a far less elegant version of the Bajoran solar sailer.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Berman might be getting the axe???

I think I've died and gone to Star Trek heaven!!

:D

It can't come soon enough!

What about Bragga?? Is he next?

Dan

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
This is one transparent "ho-hummer" of an episode! The tiredness of both the premise and the execution is insulting; not original, not lively; uninspired and uninspiring. If this is supposed to be the "new Star Trek: Enterprise", I'd call it DOA.

Steve Crowley wrote (post #13):
Au contraire, the Enterprise-D already mastered this bit of technological trickery in "Descent" (TNG). Of course, in all too regular Star Trek fashion this was unceremoniously dropped and forgotten.

The preponderance of reactions expressed here now and in recent weeks about this program leaves me convinced of how much SOSO the viewing public is willing to put up with. Again, the program's not terrible, just, as I've said before many times, determinedly mediocre. I watch, but without much expectation of inspiration or anything more than minor secondary (ephemeral) entertainment value. They think we viewers will be content with anything. Well, many of us won't.

[HO-HUM!]

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Correct, and this is what has been wrong with the franchise for years — including the most recent (and probably final) feature film. By rote. By the numbers. And even the core audience is deserting, as evidenced by the Neilsens this show is turning in (last week's was at, I believe, #104, in the bottom ten; it had finished dead last a few times prior to that).

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
You know, the day that Rex posts "I LOVED this episode" ... well.. you'll be able to knock me over with a feather...

;)

Just ribbin' you Rex. :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but we'll all be in such a state of shock over post-Behr Trek rising above mediocrity that Rex loving it will barely be noticed. :)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Tony Whalen wrote (post #27):

Well, you know what really bothers me about this particular episode is that, the more I thought about it, the more it's not really a Mission Impossible"-pastiche. Noooooo! The producers of this show probably aren't aiming so high. No, it's really a "reality-tv"-take-off! I can just see and hear the writers and producers now: "Gee, there's The Bachelor(ette), there's My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance, there's Fear Factor, etc., etc., etc. What about let's take "Dip Wad" and mix it with Star Trek? The audience'll really get a kick outta seeing stuffy old Archer pull a scam on a stupid alien, right? Just the demographic we've been looking for!" (UGH!)

Well, I HATE the putrid, obnoxious smell and awful sight of the no-brain, no-shame, no-taste television represented by those shows and to think that the producers are substituting that stuff here for "real science fiction" (whatever that is)---hell, that really makes me mad.

And, as Mr. Briggs points out, this is a long-term trend, but in the last weeks---I don't know what it is---I've just noticed these writing tendencies have gotten worse and worse. Earlier in the season someone commented that the "ship-of-mad-Vulcans" episode, "Impulse"
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-2498/epid-267776, was a steal from some popular video-game. "Chosen Realm" of a couple of weeks ago was a not very skilfully disguised rant against suicide bombers with political motives and religious fanaticism. "Carpenter Street" more "exploration" into contemporary U.S. fears about internal terrorism. Where, (literally) for heaven's sake, is the exploratory science in any of this? What new ground is being covered?!? At least in some of the earlier episodes that I didn't like I found something about science to think and talk about. Here we get nothing but stuff you could see on the nightly police dramas. (I look at a couple of those, but there's nothing much in them worth discussing on line, as far as I'm concerned).

I want a "scifi" show to be first and foremost about the science, at least some of the time. This show isn't at all any more, which, as the man said, makes me ill and angry. It's gotten to be a bit too much for me. It's overwhelming even my tolerance levels.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What are your tolerance levels? :) (Buddy, the season opener did it for me. Just couldn't take it any longer. I didn't want to succumb to the Voyager effect: that is, being so put off by the series that even my love for what had gone before was sorely tested.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks