What's new

Star Trek better than Enterprise (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Has anyone seen this? Some fans got together and did an amazing (for a fan-flick) full-length episode of original Trek. Go have a look! Love it or hate it, ya gotta admire the work they put into it.

(They are also a non-profit group collecting funds for the "Space Shuttle Childrens Fund", so PayPal 'em a buck or two if ya can.)

It's a sad state of affairs when a fan-produced "episode" is far more enjoyable that the current professional stuff that is out there. I'm one of the few that actually enjoys Enterprise, but this little production, warts and all, has 10-times the heart that Enterprise does. :)

Check it out!
www.5yearmission.com

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Honestly, I stopped watching Star Trek on TV around the time they introduced Barbie Borg to Voyager. The pinnacle of the modern Trek shows was Deep Space Nine and it's all been downhill since then.

I keep hoping that all the Trek series will die. Then we can resurrect Trek a couple decades from now when Berman & Co. are no longer working in the industry.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
I am a huge fan of Star Trek, but I have some problems with Enterprise.

Overall the cast is good and well cast. My problem is with the ship itself.

There seems to be no connection with the original "Enterprise" from the TOS.

1. TOS Enterprise was whiteish in color on the outside. The Enterprise "Enterprise" has a greysish exterior.

2. The exterior of TOS Enterprise was more "clean" in appearance, the Enterprise "Enterprise" is more rough

3. The color scheme of TOS Enterprise enterior had bright colors, the Enterprise "Enterprise" is dull and grayish in tone.

4. TOS Controls were knobs and such, the Enterprise controls are more in line with TNG ships.

5. Computer displays on the old Enterprise was either never shown or primitive, the Enterprise "Enterprise" computer graphics are again more in line with TNG than something that should be basically antique.

In general, the Enterprise "Enterprise" is more like a TNG ship than a ship that should look like it pre-dates TOS Enterprise.

No continuity in ship design.

Just my 2 cents.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
*sigh*

So is anyone actually READING the message I started this thread with? Or is this just destined to be another Enterprise-bash-fest?

Doug, no offense, as I do, in fact, agree with you. But I didn't start this discussion to debate what is good and bad about Enterprise. Guess I picked a bad title for this topic.

Oh, and Doug, if you ARE a big Trek fan, I urge you to check out the links I posted in the first message.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Douglas-

The "Enterprise" Enterprise is supposed to be "rough" looking because they want to send the idea that it was incomplete and the first in a series of starships. If it looked clean and like TOS, then the series would be a laugh fest, cheesy, and look like it took place closer to TOS than they want it to look.

Don S

Stunt Coordinator

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Quite entertaining. Spock's line at the end to Mckoy about the timeline was hilarious. :D Looking forward to others..

p.s. I do enjoy Enterprise most of the time, and don't feel the uncontrollable need to blast it whenever I have issues with it ..

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Ah, my apologies. No, I didn't. But then I never really cared for the original series and my attention span is entirely too short to sit through a downlo... look! A shiny thing!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

:laugh:

Dory? Is that you?

Okay...you made me laugh ... all is forgiven. ;)

Oh, and I posted to the "Star Trek Fan Film" thread that was started about "Starship Exeter" last year... maybe that'll be a little clearer than this one... ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I found that Windows Media player has a Mac version so I finally saw this.

I downloaded the teaser and saw this part only. What horrible acting!

I have seen the trailer for the Starship Exeter film too. That film and this film both have impressive production values for an amateur production. From the teaser alone for New Voyages, this one looks better in terms of lighting and set construction. They got the feel and look right for the Enterprise. I kind of like however that the Starship Exeter production didn't take the route of trying to recast Kirk and Spock, et all and created new characters.

The computer created ships and effects work alone and the recreation of the costumes and sets was impressive, if Berman ever wanted to do another Trials and Tribulations or Relics, they could call these guys for the sets.

The effort though is quite heartfelt and it was a hoot! I'll have to see the rest of this episode and the others and see how they turn out. Plus having actual cast members from TOS was a kind of cool thing for these guys.

It does strike me that it seems a new generation of Star Trek fans or maybe they're older are yearning for the days of TOS as a response to the current Trek or the lack of Trek today. Seeing these films reminds me of the exciting days of the 1970's and going to conventions and seeing fan recreations of the sets and costumes. It says a lot about the feeling of the fans I think.

Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks