What's new

Star Trek 4 (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I would also add that the idea that you can't make a good Star Trek picture for a budget that does not exceed $100 million is kind of absurd. You certainly can, but these days with big franchises we tend to have a lot of creatively bankrupt people running them.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
"I actually think that the way forward on a Star Trek movie is maybe to make one that's like $30 to $50 million, that's hard sci-fi, aimed right at the fans."

Yes, this is it! Do this! It could be a smaller film, a side adventure that does not feature the entire cast. Something that leads up to another film perhaps where more of the cast shows up. Basically, be creative, forget trying to appeal to the biggest audience possible, make something good, that likely will interest the fans (geezer sci-fi, ha!) and perhaps you turn a nice profit but you don't make a billion dollars on it. Let's face it, Star Trek is not a billion dollar type of franchise.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It is what they did with Star Trek Into Darkness, not Star Trek or Star Trek Beyond.

I've watched Beyond a couple of times. Saw it in a cinema when it opened and then watched the Blu. I can not tell you what it was about. The opening seemed a huge sloppy mess and the rest of it, outside of small bits of character interaction was totally forgettable. It did seem to be following the Robert Mitchum (from Scrooged) theory of making it for cats. Lots of rapid movement on the screen, things flying around, explosions, basically make it as busy as possible in terms of movement on the screen...in fact, my cats would probably love watching it. I can't tell you what the hell the plot was.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've watched Beyond a couple of times. Saw it in a cinema when it opened and then watched the Blu. I can not tell you what it was about. The opening seemed a huge sloppy mess and the rest of it, outside of small bits of character interaction was totally forgettable. It did seem to be following the Robert Mitchum (from Scrooged) theory of making it for cats. Lots of rapid movement on the screen, things flying around, explosions, basically make it as busy as possible in terms of movement on the screen...in fact, my cats would probably love watching it. I can't tell you what the hell the plot was.

Well, same. I was 100% underwhelmed by it, but it wasn't a rehash of any other story with a twist.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I know the original Trek is now, well, considered no longer appropriate. Three single middle-aged white guys, flying around the universe getting laid with every kind of female that exists, while solving problems and having a few drinks once and a while. Kirk was basically the horniest man in space and the only thing that was missing from the show was a running gag where Bones jokes about the number of STDs he has had to cure Kirk of.

"Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor not an expert on alien herpes. You've discovered more sexually transmitted diseases than anyone in human history! Hell, Star Fleet has an entire warehouse stuffed with your sexual conquests and what vaccines resulted from them!"

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I know the original Trek is now, well, considered no longer appropriate. Three single middle-aged white guys, flying around the universe getting laid with every kind of female that exists, while solving problems and having a few drinks once and a while. Kirk was basically the horniest man in space and the only thing that was missing from the show was a running gag where Bones jokes about the number of STDs he has had to cure Kirk of.

"Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor not an expert on alien herpes. You've discovered more sexually transmitted diseases than anyone in human history! Hell, Star Fleet has an entire warehouse stuffed with your sexual conquests and what vaccines resulted from them!"
Nope, not touching this with a ten foot pole.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Maybe a few years from now, they can do like the recent Halloween trilogy, pretend Into Darkness and Beyond never happened, and do a re-quel to the 2009 film on yet another timeline... because (IMO) the follow-up films were awful, and besides, the world needs more multiverse franchises :rolleyes: .

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
They should make a film with the cast from Picard Season 3 and have it lead into the Star Trek Legacy series. The movie could be a hit and it would jump-start the P+ show.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A made for steaming film? Absolutely. Made for theatrical? That’s a much more difficult pathway to profitability.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I wanted to like them--I really did want to like them--but they lost me at New Khan.
I could deal with New Khan, barely. I couldn't deal with spaceship flying inside stupid transparent tubes into stupid magical space station with stupid technology thousands of years beyond original ST.

I also think a director who takes Idris Elba and makes him unrecognizable in an alien bodysuit should be banned from movie/tv sets for life and only allowed on movie lots to clean toilets. So should the parties responsible for hiring Justin Lin in the first place.

Its as bad a misstep to me as the Enterprise finale.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I also think a director who takes Idris Elba and makes him unrecognizable in an alien bodysuit should be banned from movie/tv sets for life and only allowed on movie lots to clean toilets.
Tell that to David Lynch and John Hurt. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks