What's new

Star Trek 4 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I like Shakman, and I like the Abrams Trek cast so I'd definitely be up for this. It does seem strange to highlight this to investors before the cast has signed on, though.

Beyond cost $185 million, grossed $343 million, and was widely considered a failure. Given that, I don't see the budget going up for a fourth movie, which also means keeping cast salaries reasonable.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Beyond cost $185 million, grossed $343 million, and was widely considered a failure.
Do we know how much WandaVision cost? I mean, I know that's not the best comparison because it is a Marvel show, so it was probably on the higher end for episodic television. But he really made that look just as good as a Marvel movie in terms of production value. He should be able to apply the same general principles to making this at a reasonable cost.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Do we know how much WandaVision cost? I mean, I know that's not the best comparison because it is a Marvel show, so it was probably on the higher end for episodic television. But he really made that look just as good as a Marvel movie in terms of production value. He should be able to apply the same general principles to making this at a reasonable cost.
Kevin Feige has said the Disney+ Marvel shows cost about $150 million each.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
which also means keeping cast salaries reasonable.
May be easier said than done. They had the cast under contract a couple of times to make a 4th film over the past 5 years, but never got it done. I'd think it would cost them more every time they have to re-negotiate with them.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I enjoyed all 3 JJ verse movies but I kind of wish they'd just let this series die now that all the new TV shows are up and going. Better yet, start up a new movie series that takes place in the same timeline as the current shows, that way they can tie into each other like the MCU movies and shows.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Apparently Paramount forgot to tell the cast or their representatives that they are going to be involved in another movie shooting before the end of the year.

If this is true (and being from an industry trade like The Hollywood Reporter, I'm guessing it is), the incompetence here is staggering.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Apparently Paramount forgot to tell the cast or their representatives that they are going to be involved in another movie shooting before the end of the year.

If this is true (and being from an industry trade like The Hollywood Reporter, I'm guessing it is), the incompetence here is staggering.
Other than Chris Pine and maybe Zoe Saldana it doesn’t appear like the cast was crazy busy anyway. They should be happy if this proceeds.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They should be happy if this proceeds.
I agree. I doubt any of them would object to being in it if Paramount agrees to compensate them fairly But I still think there is a natural order you go in. Announcing the movie to investors and press before telling the cast that their services will be needed is putting the cart before the horse. They should have the talent deals in place before making an announcement.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'd betting it is true but not because it comes from THR. Whichever company has managed Trek (TV shows or movies) has never been good at it...dare I say incompetent at it. Missing major anniversaries, sub-par product, overpriced product, rehashing previously released product, years and years and years between movies which killed momentum, terrible publicity for Beyond...and still, the franchise endures somehow. Kinda boggles my mind how that works.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just an off the cuff thought, back during the waning years of the TOS films and the burgeoning era of the TNG TV series, 1990, the studio had people who fully supported Star Trek. And my impression was those executives at Paramount understand the fans and the franchise. If that support wasn’t there, Star Trek 6 probably would not have been made.

Plus they had a home video department that regularly made releases of the shows on laserdisc and DVD.

Paramount used to also have someone named Richard Arnold under Gene Roddenberry’s employ as his assistant who was a super knowledgeable fan and was a guest at Star Trek conventions who did updates on the upcoming seasons of TNG. I know he became controversial but he was a good ambassador to the fans at that time. Plus there was the regular fan magazine Star Trek Communicator with Larry Nemecek as editor. The magazine has since changed titles and management several times.

My impression is CBS has been very good to the franchise in recent years while all support at Paramount left during the Star Trek Enterprise years. The large fan base is still mostly still there supporting the franchise, but there isn’t that same level of synergy with the studio anymore.

I don’t think I’m saying anything you guys don’t already know. Or maybe I‘m not seeing some other issues. For me, I’m more invested and interested in the new shows from Paramount Plus then the Kelvin films.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It puts the cast in line for an even bigger payday, as the project is already announced widely in the press. Unless they're willing to recast some of the roles, they may have to pay even more to bring some of the actors back on board.

It would be egg on the face of the producers/studio if they had to turn around and cancel the film, or were unable to bring back some of the familiar cast.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

"
After rebranding the company with a new old name, Paramount announced a number of upcoming projects for their streaming service and beyond. This news included big plans for fan favorite franchises such as "Halo," "Sonic the Hedgehog," "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," and "South Park" at Paramount+. But the one announcement that caught everyone by surprise was the one from J.J. Abrams. The prolific (and divisive) filmmaker shared that a fourth "Star Trek" movie set in his Kelvin Timeline is not only in the works, but it's scheduled to be released next year. And the whole cast (minus the late Anton Yelchin) of the starship Enterprise will be returning!

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/776946/th...-movie-was-being-announced/?utm_campaign=clip
"

"
However, it looks like Abrams forgot to let the cast know. Apparently, most (if not all) the teams for the major players were completely in the dark about this announcement from the producer that has been trying to get a fourth feature film in this series off the ground for some time.

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/776946/th...-movie-was-being-announced/?utm_campaign=clip"

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was actually going to ask, do we need all the information in the title of the thread?! Just the name of the movie seems adequate! :D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Unsurprisingly, Matt Shakman has left the project to direct Fantastic Four for Marvel instead.

This is my shocked face: :emoji_expressionless:

Look, they were wanting a finished film for Christmas 2023, IIRC. It’s August 2022 and filming has not started, who knows if there’s a script and actors are committed to other things. How many directors and writers has this thing gone through already?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks