What's new

Standalone Dolby Digital Decoder (1 Viewer)

Daniel S

Auditioning
hi,
i am planning to switch to digital sat tv, because of the perfect video and audio quality and the ability to receive dd5.1 sound. my actual setup is a sony str-de245 sourround receiver without built in dd-decoder but with analog 5.1 input. i didnt need a dd-decoder because my dvd has one built-in. i am very happy with that solution, but, you see the problem, a digital sat receiver only has a digital optical dd-audio output. now i need a decoder. only a simple box with one or two optical ins and an analog composite 5.1 out. that would be enough. i found this and this. i thinks these things would do it, but they have too many features and so they are too expensive.
does anyone know a simpler product? because for the price of the technics i also would get a new AV-receiver with built-in dd-decoder...

thx

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what you found. It should be fairly easy to find a stand-alone DD decoder for your needs on the used market for about a hundred bucks or less. Check Ebay, this site's for sale section, audiogon, etc.

Mike.W

Auditioning
You'd be happier with a new receiver overall. Sony's consumer line of receivers leaves a lot to be desired, and you've clearly outgrown your current one. Perhaps an Onkyo TX-SR501 or 601, or the Pioneer VSX-D912K would suit your needs. Harman Kardon also has some good lower end receivers though I am not very familiar with them. With a new receiver, you'd get a better feature set of surround decoding (DTS-ES, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital EX being the most important) than with a stand-alone DD decoder, plus you'd get the digital inputs you need. I think you'd find it a worthwhile investment.

Mike

John S

Senior HTF Member
It is true, unless you have a very high end older unit.

6.1 Quality receivers can be had for under $200..

Daniel S

Auditioning
oh, forgot to make links out of the "this's".

h**p://formen.ign.com/news/19818.html
and
h**p://w**.creative.com/products/product.asp?prodid=9468

i am using the h**t because i am not allowed to post urls until i have 15 posts... =P

thank you all...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks