What's new

So has preordered or is planning to buy the Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Pete T C

Second Unit
Crutchfield.com has this HD-DVD player for $450 shipped (preorder ships 3/28, use coupon code PA440). Apparently it does 720p and 1080i via HDMI and Component (if not restricted by studio) and includes DTS HD, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital HD audio decoders with output both over analog 5.1 and also digitally via PCM HDMI (unconfirmed whether 5.1 or 7.1 via this method, though the chips seem to support 7.1).

I figured for $450 this would be a fun HD-DVD standalone to play around with until the format war is over which may take years - it even upscales SD-DVD to 720p/1080i. A Microsoft rep has confirmed it has full iHD interactive support and that it can have bugs fixed or feature additions flashed in via internet connection or movie disc. Word is it has the same electronics as the more expensive upcoming Toshiba HD-XA1 but a less fancy case. Crutchfield also has a 30-day no questions asked return policy.

Any others here preorder this player or planning to buy it?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'd buy only if the HD-DVD titles don't enable ICT and i view 1080 content via component.

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
I preordered hd a1 from value electronics. So did my brother. If you buy two, you get them for $450 each, plus a couple of free films.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
All these delays. by the time the players are actually released, we will probably be on to the next format.

One thing's for sure. This is going to be an expensive holiday season for some of us.

Next gen in DVD viewing, Playstation 3, new 1080P Plasmas (I want one, but that will have to wait), etc.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
As far as I am concerned HD-DVD has lost and I have no plans to purchased that format!

Blu-ray is the only HD format that I will be investing in later this year. IMHO I do not see HD-DVD succeding and I dont see many people rushing out to buy it. Especially with such little support and so few movies. It seems like the closer HD-DVD gets to its rollout date. The more the software titles are slimed back. I have allready planed to center all my HT upgrades around the new blu-ray format.

Planed Upgrades:
Blu-ray HD Player.
New Surround Reciever (1080p HDMI Switching,7.1 surround).
1080p Projector.
Upgrade center channel and rear speakers and add dual 18" JBL subwoofers.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'll be picking up the HD-A1 within a week of them hitting the shelves. I've got $100 in BB gift cards waiting.

I plan on buying both an HD-DVD player and a Blu-Ray player. I will wait a bit longer on the Blu-Ray so the prices have time to drop if they street at the $1k.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm waiting until the format war is either over or someone releases a dual format player at a decent price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks