What's new

Stand-alone home office... inspired by home theater builds. (1 Viewer)

nightsky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
This is not a HT build... but a build of my little backyard office that I was inspired to build, after painting in, and talking with so many people who are building home theaters. I needed my office to have many of the same qualities that a theater room needs (quiet, quiet, quiet, with very few distractions).
While this is not a home theater build, it was inspired by many home theater builds... so I hope that this will be OK to post here.
Thanks for those of you who post information on your builds.... because those ideas carry over into other areas and rooms too. I've been inspired by so many builds... and I couldn't be happier with the way mine turned out.
Now, while this is in no way even close to what you guys do in your theaters... it is exactly what I needed for a place to work. Here are some pictures of the build from start to finish...
Beginning of project:
1-Excavating.jpg

Putting up forms:
2.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

Digging trench for electrical:
3-Gettingreadyforpour.jpg

Getting everyone involved in mixing and pouring concrete:
IMG_0273.jpg

Letting it set:
5-8inchwalls.jpg

Up go the staggered-stud walls:
7-Staggardstuds.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

The outside OSB sheathing goes up:
IMG_1784.jpg

Insulation on the outside part of the staggered-studs goes up:
IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

We decided to stagger the ceiling studs also with a layer of OSB on top:
6.jpg

Second layer of insulation in walls and ceiling go in, and an interior wall goes in to divide my office from a painting room:
9-insulation2.jpg

Wiring goes in with extra outlets installed (I hate having to look for a place to plug things in) and then the first layer of the wall (OSB) goes up inside:
14-PresheetrockOSB.jpg

Time to put on the roof:
IMG_1803.jpg

Wrapped the outside with Tyvek and then had the contractor add an overhang to the front:
IMG_1989.jpg

...which of course is stuffed with more insulation:
IMG_1805.jpg

Back inside, the second interior layer (sheetrock this time) is up and the soffit is started:
15-Soffit1.jpg

17-Soffit3.jpg

Lights and a bullnose edge are added to the soffit... then mud:
19-Soffit5.jpg

Soffit7.jpg

Door into my painting room also gets a bullnose edge:
IMG_1964.jpg

Finally the primer and paint go on walls (It looks a lot bluer in this pic. than it really is):
IMG_2057.jpg

Crown moulding and paint go on the ceiling:
IMG_2063.jpg

Cloud ceiling is added to the painting room (I like the clouds in this room much better than in the office area... but, oh well. It's my first shot at it):
IMG_2061.jpg

Clouds are added to the office area:
IMG_2072.jpg

Testing a strand of $4 rope lights I stumbled on at a thrift store;
IMG_2084.jpg

Then, the last thing to go on the inside is the night sky. If you look closely, you can see the illusion of beams that I created around the outside edge (where the ceiling and side wall meet, and also in each corner, and in the center of each wall)
Officeceilingwithnightsky.jpg

nightsky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
The main focus in my construction of this little office was soundproofing. And, while I used a handful of techniques for soundproofing, there are so many more that I could have used. But, I am not so much keeping sound inside (as in a home theater room), but I am trying to keep normal neighborhood noises out. So, if you are wondering why only a few techniques were used... that's why.
This would also work for a "Relaxation Room"... which I have found this office to be too. :) zzzzzzzzzzzz...
Jeff

nightsky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I do the night sky... not the clouds. The clouds were just something that I paint the night sky on top of, after another artist paints them. I just wanted to try my hand at them on my own office ceiling. But, I'd never do the clouds for a living. :)
But, yes, I do paint the night sky for a living. Here's a link to a thread that I have about the painted night sky ceilings vs fiber optic ceilings... http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/304549/star-ceilings-painted-vs-fiber-optics
Jeff

prosoft7

Auditioning
Real Name
golam akhter
Nightsky, are you planning to come to Minnesota sometime during the next month or two? I am interested to get a night sky on my HT room ceiling. It is relatively small - around 200 sqft. My cell is 651-494-2305. If you are not available, then can you please refer me to someone of your choice in St. Paul/Minneapolis area of Minnesota? Will appreciate! Thanks. -golam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks