What's new

Squeeze DVD playback for anamorphic lens on a Mac? (1 Viewer)

Jennifer B

Grip
Hi,

I'm running a 4:3 projector on a PowerMac with OS X 10.4. I have an anamorphic lens to utilize the full projector resolution when watching 16:9 material. But to make this work correctly, the Mac needs to stretch widescreen movies vertically by 33% to fill the entire 4:3 screen and remove the black bars. The lens will later correct the distortion.

I haven't found a function in Apple's own DVD player to do this. Is there any software that squeezes/stretches DVD playback (ideally also video files from my HD) for use with the anamorphic lens?

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
There seems to be a real dearth of decent DVD players for the Mac.

You might want to give http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ a whirl. It's a media player rather than a DVD player but it can apparently play VIDEO_TS files off a DVD (never tried it due to not having a Mac...) :)

Good luck.

Jennifer B

Grip
Actually, I found out from another board that "squeeze" function is build right into the Apple DVD player. I just hadn't found it.

So if anyone else has the same problem:
Go to Window / Video Zoom (not the regular Zoom). A transparent overlay will open, click "On" in the top-left corner and you can adjust width and height with the two sliders or choose a pre-defined setting from the pull-down.
:)

VLC is a nice player and I have it too, but AFAIK it doesn't allow to scale video out of proportion. Or does it? I only saw this Postprocessing entry under the Video menu but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks