1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Spotify and Hulu announce combined subscription plan

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    source

I must admit, I already pay for Apple and Amazon music. I am kind of interested in Hulu, but not sure how extensive their programming is compared to say, Netflix.

I might consider this deal if there is enough positive feedback from HTF members

2. Cranston37

Cranston37 Supporting Actor

That’s odd they wouldn’t have a similar bundle with Spotify and the Hulu Live TV package. I subscribe to that for $39.99 a month and I feel like their $11.99 a month customers are the ones getting the sweet deal...

3. John Dirk

John Dirk Supporting Actor
    Supporter

John
    Hulu is a joint venture by the major studios [and Comcast] and, as such, is focused primarily on prime time TV I think. I would say, if you've cut the cord [as I have] and still want contemporary TV shows soon after their original air dates then Hulu may be for you. I prefer older TV shows and so have had no sustained interest. I've played around with their free plan on the PC platform but never actually signed up for the pay plan.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I like Hulu. By default I have Amazon Prime, which I had before there were any streaming benefits. I also haven't had cable in about 15 years. I only first tried Hulu a couple months ago, expecting for it to be a nice, cheap way to see broadcast stuff when I wanted to, but I almost immediately realized how nice it is to have and switched to commercial free, which is more than worth the extra $5, it costs. It's just different than NetFlix, which I think tends to compete more with Prime for content. Once thing to remember about Hulu is that it is strictly Dolby Surround. There is NO discrete surround material at all, which I have a feeling you won't like.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

We have the Hulu service with commercials - - it's free with our Sprint cellular plan. I've actually been watching it more than Prime lately. They have some older shows I have not seen in many years. I am currently going through the show "Wings".

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Scott,

How many commercials per TV episode or movie? I have Spotify Premium so I might go with this combo offer.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    John,

Is the programming or amount of streaming allowed different between no commercials and limited commercials plan? Currently, they're charging $11.99 per month for no commercials and $7.99 for limited commercials which is $4 not $5.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    For $3 more I decided to try it as I already have Spotify Premium. I can always cancel if I don't like it. Now I have to set up multiple devices, later.

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    They’re exactly the same. Just no commercials. When I signed up a couple months ago, the commercial plan was $6.99. I guess it went up.

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Robert,

Commercials on TV shows are of random amount - - anywhere from none to five minutes for a 22 minute show. The app on my Roku players will actually tell you how long the episode will be with commercials. Exiting and reselecting the episode will usually reduce the commercial time. I can usually get commercial time to a minute for an episode. Unfortunately, the apps on my Android phone, iPad and Samsung TV do not show the time with commercials.

The movies I have watched have not had any commercials.

Our account is through Sprint, and we do not have the option to upgrade to the non-commercial plan. But it's free, so I live with the commercials.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I watched the pilot/first episode of "The Rifleman" First season for kicks "The Sharpshooter". The episode had Dennis Hopper, Leif Erickson, Sidney Blackmer and R.G. Armstrong and it was directed by Arnold Laven and written by Sam Peckinpah. That same year, I think The Big Country came out with Chuck Connors in it.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Thanks for that work around as I used it on my AppleTV 4 unit and it worked like a charm reducing the commercial time.

Scott Merryfield likes this.