Sports and Racing games need online play now!?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Keith Frederick, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Keith Frederick

Keith Frederick Stunt Coordinator

I can't imagine spending $50 for a racing or sports game with no online play anymore. SSX Tricky was one of my favorite games, but I won't be getting SSX3 because of no XBlive support. Deathrow sounded interesting, but no XBlive support. F-zero, Mario Kart, NFS Underground, Fifa, and even Soul Caliber II are AAA games, but I find that I am no longer interested because they are missing this feature.

Sure, I like to have my occasional single player-only experience like KOTOR, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Baldur's Gate, Buffy, Ninja Gaiden, etc. But for games that live and die by multiplayer, my expectations are way too high now.

2. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

i agree

it's disappointing that nintendo puts out a $35 peripheral only to have it support 2 games

i initially bought a gamecube with the hope that mario kart would be online..they announced lan capability and we have to rely on a tunneling software..which could turn out to be a bust if it's too laggy.

i think the xbox is in good shape and could take over the market with the next generation of consoles but nintendo has to step up and deliver some solid third party non-mario titles and provide some kind of online gaming capability..at least compete with online titles that are released on all platforms..

F-zero is another major disappointment..apparently the game is more single player oriented but they could've at least included a lan capability

3. Scott_W

Scott_W Stunt Coordinator

Fifa will have online play this year on the PS2. NFS: Underground probably will be online via the PS2.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Scott_W

There is definitely information on EASports site about Fifa, and its online service. I haven't seen any definitely press releases about Fifa in general yet though. If its online, I buy Fifa, if not, I'll just wait for the next Winning 11.

http://www.easports.com/games/fifa2004/ps2onlinefaq.jsp

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I wasn't doubting you, Scott, I just hadn't heard about it. Very interested in it now!

7. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

Online play is a nice diversion but for every good time you have you'll have a bad expirience unless you plan your games. People are always cheating/being a cheeser to ruin it for everyone else.

8. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

9. Scott_W

10. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

11. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

MotoGP 2 is usually fine. The only issue is that there are a lot of people that go online to just try and set PBs to work their way up the scoreboard and are not interested in the actual race. Many of the fastest players will sit in a room with one or two other guys, set the it to long race, turn on the AI and use them to get a draft for faster times. When you pause the game your bike just becomes a ghost and sits in the middle of the track without any speed penalty, so they pause the game, let the AI and their buddys pass them then upause and use the draft. If they can get enough people they'll setup up people paused along every straight who will then unpause when the person trying to set a time gets to a certain point so that they can draft at just about every possible place on the track.

Some people get upset about this practice because they feel that if the best are doing it, then they also have to do it just to keep up. I don't really give a crap what other people do though, I just play to race and get better as I do.

12. Scott_W