What's new

Splitter, Cable TV, and ghost (1 Viewer)

tkurosaka

Auditioning
Real Name
Kuro
I have a basic Cable from Comcast that also carries FM signals.
I inserted a splitter to branch the signal to TV (well via VHS Video unit) and the FM tuner of a combo stereo.

Outlet |-coax--> Splitter |-coax-->VHS-->TV
|-coax-->FM tuner

But this caused the ghost image on some channels. If I disconnect
the cable to the FM tuner from the splitter, the ghost goes away.

What would be the cause of this? An impedance mismatch at the tuner? A weak signal? Would signal booster help?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Call Ghost Busters...Sorry.. I had to throw that in!.. :)

Ok on a more serious note... Where are you located? I'm just reading an article

"For decades, Don Schwartz tuned in to local FM radio stations nearly every week for hours -- listening to everything from NPR storyteller Garrison Keillor to the Grateful Dead.

But Schwartz recently turned on his stereo and heard only silence. Like many other area residents, Schwartz relied on Comcast, the Bay Area's largest cable TV provider, to provide FM signals because he had trouble picking them up over the airwaves. But Comcast abruptly stopped providing the service in dozens of local communities three months ago.

"I'm absolutely furious,'' said Schwartz, an actor and writer who lives in Larkspur. "I'm totally lost having no access to FM, which was a huge part of my life."

Comcast said it turned off the service in 31 area cities, mostly in the East Bay and North Bay, in February to make room on the cable system for other offerings, like more high-definition TV channels, expanded video on demand, faster high-speed Internet service and telephone service.

A spokesman said Comcast found that customers ranked FM radio service near the bottom of most-wanted services. Many told The Chronicle they didn't even know the service existed."

quote from...
http://www.mediasf.org/index.php/articles/188

Google "comcast fm" Lots of interesting articles

tkurosaka

Auditioning
Real Name
Kuro
I do live in Bay Area and use Comcast. But my area is not affected by this; I am receiving FM signals. I can tell this because my TV set has a builtin FM tuner. I can also tell this because the FM tuner in the stereo is picking up my favorite station at a different frequency than the broadcast signal.

Any other possible cause?

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
You best bet would be to contact Comcast. They may have a filter that they can supply that would send just the FM to the Tuner and Just the Cable to the TV. I'd Give them a call since they are the ones providing the service which you are paying for... just put up enough of a stink and You'll get a answer from them. Doesn't Comcast have digital Comercial free music service in your area? It's part of everyones cable around here. or go Directv if you can! ... Then you get all the XM Satellite Music channels for FREE!!.. (well it's part of the "package" anyways.)

tkurosaka

Auditioning
Real Name
Kuro
I should have mentioned that I had already contacted Comcast before posting this question here. They said they won't be able to help me because it's the wiring I'm doing myself. They'd only support the case when I get bad reception because of their bad work, the rep says.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
But they are the ones that are charging you for the Service. They Claim to be providing FM then Have Comcast hookup your fm so it works. Demand it... It's part of your package and you are paying for it. It's thier problem not yours!! Thats probably one of the reasons they are dropping the service in other areas.. too many problems.. but if it's in your contract they MUST make sure it works. Let them come out and fix it!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks