What's new

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow Announced (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The first Splinter Cell was 480p. It runs in 480p on my setup, and I am sure on countless other setups. It is even listed on the HD compatable thread as 480p

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Ok...

it is not 480p. However, the graphics are stellar. The sound is equally superb with my B&K decoding the DD as DD EX.

I just saw the intro and played the xbox live training (yes... you train a bit before getting to live so you see how things work).

So first impressions are it's everything the hype has hyped it to be. Gamespy is quite correct.

Gotta go eat and play.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
it is not 480p
Sorry Gary but you are incorrect. As Michael just noted, the game is most definitely 480p, as was the original game. The demo that was released for the original Splinter Cell in OXM lacked 480p support but the final full retail version most definitely supports progressive scan. The same goes for its sequel which is, in fact, 480p.

James_tango

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. So it supports 480p. :)

Does anybody know if it supports 16x9 widescreen aspect ratio ? My copy arrives tomoorow, and I can't wait!

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Thanks for clearing that up guys. I knew it would be 480p.
It seems that the websites that you expect to know these things (DVDFile, Gamespy) are the ones that are incorrect on the technical details.
If they are not sure, they shouldn't state it.

I highly doubt it will be 16x9 but I don't have the game yet.

Doug

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
On my set (XBR800), when it's supports 480p, the image is 16x9, not fullscreen.

How do you tell it supports 480p when it's full screen?

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
GameSpot's review provided the answer which no one on several forums seemed to be able to.

We experienced smooth online gameplay in both the Xbox and PC versions of Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer mode--when we could get into a match, that is. Via the Xbox Live service, you have the standard quick match and optimatch modes, though a bug in the shipping version of the game unfortunately causes the optimatch menu to freeze up if you wait there for more than 10 seconds or so; you can still set up your own match or search for a random quick match. On the PC, you mostly have the same types of options via Ubisoft's proprietary Ubi.com online service, though this has its own quirks. We experienced crashes to the desktop or other errors trying to get in on numerous matches, which apparently stem from issues with how the game incorporates anti-cheating software. In theory, though, you can easily do a quick search for available matches, create your own, or browse for available matches. The PC version of the game supports voice chat just like the Xbox version does. You can also play the PC version over a LAN or the Xbox version using the system link feature.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Thanks Mike.

I have the Sony XBR800. On progressive sources it disables the VM options. I didn't check that when SC:PT was playing since I didn't think of that. I will check it this evening.

Learn something new everyday.

Sorry for the misinformation.

James_tango

Stunt Coordinator
How do you tell it supports 480p when it's full screen?
also, some TVs/displays (and almost every video processors) shows information about the incomming signal such as Y/Pb/Pr, RGB, DVI etc with their vertical resolution (480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) via their OSD.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if you can save whenever you want on the Xbox version this time? As someone who enjoys Splinter Cell despite being really bad at it I found the checkpoints annoying.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Well, it made the 480p symbol come up on my Mitsubishi set FWIW. It definitely looks better than the first IMO and there are some really cool localized lighting effects using flashlights in it as well.

Very similar to the original as far as single player mode goes. The changes they did make are good IMO. For instance, instead of always having to go to the inventory, select the optic cable and use it, the optic cable is one of the choices you have when you walk up to a door, same with the manual pick. You always had them in the bag before, now you don;t have to waste time looking for them.

Another cool thing is they have applied physics to many more items in teh game. Take a light hanging on a cord. If you miss a little and hit the cord, the light starts swaying, making it that much more difficult to hit until it calms down.

Also, it does use checkpoints between the major save points which are similarly placed compared to the original, so I guess you need to be carefull about quitting for the night but at least you do not have to go back as far when you get killed. Also, when you do get to the major saves, it seems to default to the next slot down instead of the previous slot so for those of you like me that tried to keep three seperate saves so you could go back for alarm purposes, the game agrees with your strategy now it seems.

Also, I guess Sony Ericsson ponied up enough to boot Palm as the OpSat logo is now their's.

One thing I didn't like is the fact that Dennis Haysbert is playing Lambert. Maybe it is the fact that I was used to the other guy but I just liked him better.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
One thing bothered me about the SP Demo, now that you mention Haysbert, though it's obviously not his fault. They actually put the word "conversate" in the script. :angry:

Does anyone know if you can save whenever you want on the Xbox version this time? As someone who enjoys Splinter Cell despite being really bad at it I found the checkpoints annoying.
That's another plus on the PC - quicksave/quickload. Lets you try a lot of different things without having to redo the same parts over and over.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
They use checkpoints but it also does auto-saves in between. I was playing the first level and it auto-saved frequently, but I apparently did not go far enough in the level to save via a checkpoint. So if I failed at a certain point, I would pick up from the last auto-save but since I didn't get to save via a checkpoint yet, when I exited the game, all my progress was lost. I only got to play this game for about an hour so I didn't get far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks