What's new

Spielberg’s Bullitt (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Agreed. Spielberg generally works with pretty well known actors so I tend to think that he'll cast an established actor in his 30's and that he feels is right for the role over going for someone with a resemblance to Steve McQueen.
So...nope. Cooper is pushing 50.

YANG

Screenwriter
I would love if Spielberg made a western, if he wants to remake something he should remake neveda smith. Lots of things need to be updated in a story like that. First and foremost someone with native American blood, and someone who isn't nearly 40 playing a teenager. It also could be a great lesson for people about hatred
Spielberg style Western?
hmmm...... is it going to be violent but less bloody? or a tad violent with fun, filled with adventures? the latter sounds very Indiana Jones-ish.
or a 3rd option, direct homage to the 70s Western directors, either Sergio Leone's Italian style mano2nano duel as in Man with No Name, or Sam Peckinpah American gang bang style crossfires as in Wild Bunch?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have to say that every time I see the title of this thread, I wonder "Is Spielberg's Bullitt any relation to Chekov's Gun?"
That's funny.

That being said, I put Spielberg's name in the title of the thread when I created it in order to distinguish this project from the 1968 film.

On another note, does anyone know if the original Bullitt is streaming somewhere? I have never seen it and would like to check it out. I could do a digital rental, but would be even happier if it was on a service I already have. I'd also be open to watching it on TCM, but their website doesn't seem to indicate any airdates for it soon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's funny.

That being said, I put Spielberg's name in the title of the thread when I created it in order to distinguish this project from the 1968 film.

On another note, does anyone know if the original Bullitt is streaming somewhere? I have never seen it and would like to check it out. I could do a digital rental, but would be even happier if it was on a service I already have. I'd also be open to watching it on TCM, but their website doesn't seem to indicate any airdates for it soon.
What services you already have? It’s a Warner title, but it’s not playing on HBO or HBO MAX. It’s available for purchase on iTunes for $4.99.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let's see. A new film based on a character from an old 1960s cop drama starring a 50 year old actor. It'll make a killing.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Bullitt seems like it would have more box office potential than West Side Story and the Fabelmans. Spielberg is a master of action and suspense, and it's certain that this movie will have both of those things. But yeah, although a San Francisco cop movie might be a solid hit, it's probably unlikely to be a big blockbuster.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bullitt seems like it would have more box office potential than West Side Story and the Fabelmans. Spielberg is a master of action and suspense, and it's certain that this movie will have both of those things. But yeah, although a San Francisco cop movie might be a solid hit, it's probably unlikely to be a big blockbuster.
Maybe. I'm just seeing it terms of the demographic that the Hollywood film industry considers its prime target and this film certainly wouldn't come close to hitting it in its proposed form. It may appeal to dusty sixty year olds like myself and I'm not even totally convinced with that case. It doesn't help that Spielberg would be directing it. I don't find him to be the penultimate director that a lot people do.

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Saving Private Ryan are his best ones as far as his films go. He has had other good ones, but those two are the only ones that have repeat watchability for me.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
If the setting is today, how about an actor of color playing Frank Bullitt.
I am one of the opposed to such revisions. Why is it that black culture today feels the need to appropriate something that was not a part of its own heritage in the first place?

I am NOT opposed to ANY representation of people of color on the screen. But did we really need an all-black version of Steel Magnolias or Annie - two glaring examples of a misappropriation of characters that were never intended to be considered as such?

Steel Magnolias is a true story of a white Southern woman's death. Annie is the story of a Depression-era red-headed white orphan.

What? No originality on the part of black culture to create its own mythology, heroes and heroines for the movie screen? Must it all be a hand-me-down from white culture? Isn't that insulting to black heritage in general - a copycatting from another race? How would it be if a white actor took on the role in the next Black Panther movie? I don't think it would go over well.

Why not a truly original story and cop character? It certainly worked for Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop, 48 Hrs. etc. and Richard Roundtree in Shaft and its subsequent sequels.

Isn't that the sort of originality and promotion of positive black screen representations everyone should be pushing for and championing today?!? Not a "the part of the white guy from yesteryear will be played by some black man of today."

Don't borrow your history. Create it from scratch and make it to stand the test to time for all time!

That alone is enough of a stereotype to sink the whole enterprise!

YANG

Screenwriter
Bullitt seems like it would have more box office potential than West Side Story and the Fabelmans. Spielberg is a master of action and suspense, and it's certain that this movie will have both of those things......
Action and Suspense?
on the action part, if u had been impressed by Indiana Jones, i would agree with u. i would say those action were just as decorations to add some fun.
Minority Report? the Correll the Cat and Cruisethe Mice chase actions does add some thrills and tensions. but when it come to the term action design by his own vision, Spielberg couldn't have the idea as much as John Woo, Michael Bay, even Ridley Scott whom is around his age.
Saving Private Ryan? no. SPR is a war drama that filled with action to depict the situation in that period. all those military movements, if u compare to old films like the Big Red ONE, u would easily spot the difference that the SPR tactical movement, which was choreographed, is very much close to what taught in modern military schools/camps.

Spielberg movies i would say, more on drama, suspense, fantasy, and little decoration of action.

West Side Story was an attempt into musical and dance, and a homage to the classic. which, may not earn much in BoxOffice take ins, but gained some applause which may... my speculation, inspire him to do a "Singing in the Rain" homage as well.

the Fabelmans is an attempt of telling a story about himself, but probably some changes in characters such that 60yrs of his life, can be shrunk into 151mins to tell a story of his life.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
....West Side Story was an attempt into musical and dance, and a homage to the classic. which, may not earn much in BoxOffice take ins, but gained some applause which may... my speculation, inspire him to do a "Singing in the Rain" homage as well....

"Steven Spielberg says that he has no intention to direct another musical after West Side Story."

Spielberg has said that he'd like to direct a Western, if he can find and develop a good story and screenplay.

A Singin' in the Rain homage has already been made, in the form of the very R-rated Babylon, directed by Damien Chazelle.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Man this thread is broken. I bet it was merged with another. You can't see the movie poster like the movie thread doesn't exist but if you try to add it, it says movie already exists.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am one of the opposed to such revisions. Why is it that black culture today feels the need to appropriate something that was not a part of its own heritage in the first place?

I am NOT opposed to ANY representation of people of color on the screen. But did we really need an all-black version of Steel Magnolias or Annie - two glaring examples of a misappropriation of characters that were never intended to be considered as such?

Steel Magnolias is a true story of a white Southern woman's death. Annie is the story of a Depression-era red-headed white orphan.

What? No originality on the part of black culture to create its own mythology, heroes and heroines for the movie screen? Must it all be a hand-me-down from white culture? Isn't that insulting to black heritage in general - a copycatting from another race? How would it be if a white actor took on the role in the next Black Panther movie? I don't think it would go over well.

Why not a truly original story and cop character? It certainly worked for Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop, 48 Hrs. etc. and Richard Roundtree in Shaft and its subsequent sequels.

Isn't that the sort of originality and promotion of positive black screen representations everyone should be pushing for and championing today?!? Not a "the part of the white guy from yesteryear will be played by some black man of today."

Don't borrow your history. Create it from scratch and make it to stand the test to time for all time!

That alone is enough of a stereotype to sink the whole enterprise!
Since, the casting of the protagonist has been announced, any further discussion of your assertion should happen in a more appropriate thread.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Maybe. I'm just seeing it terms of the demographic that the Hollywood film industry considers its prime target and this film certainly wouldn't come close to hitting it in its proposed form. It may appeal to dusty sixty year olds like myself and I'm not even totally convinced with that case. It doesn't help that Spielberg would be directing it. I don't find him to be the penultimate director that a lot people do.

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Saving Private Ryan are his best ones as far as his films go. He has had other good ones, but those two are the only ones that have repeat watchability for me.

I'm with you regarding Spielberg in general, but I suspect that a remake of Bullitt by him would get a lot of attention, and be reasonably successful just because it's by Spielberg.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I may have seen the original or not, I don't remember. So what's so special about the story that Spielberg wants to remake it? I see cars driving fast! Not very exciting story to remake!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So what's so special about the story that Spielberg wants to remake it?
I don't think he is remaking it. It sounds to me like he is just making a movie with a new story featuring the same character.

I do have to wonder what kind of budget he will get for this though. Normally, I would say that he's Steven Spielberg and he can get whatever he wants. But with West Side Story and The Fabelmans, we have seen for two years in a row now that Spielberg has made a highly acclaimed film where older audiences just aren't showing up to see it in large numbers.

So a related question would be: Is Spielberg going to be able to interest younger audiences in Bullitt? I mean, I will see it because Spielberg is making it, but I don't know whether any of my non-HTF friends will care.

And if it is going to target an older audience, that's fine. But they haven't been showing up for his most recent films. I'm not saying he shouldn't make it, but it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall for the budgetary discussions.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I may have seen the original or not, I don't remember. So what's so special about the story that Spielberg wants to remake it? I see cars driving fast! Not very exciting story to remake!

If you'd seen the original, you'd remember. As old as it is, it still has arguably the best car chase scene in cinematic history.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks