Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
k0qqyPdcrD0XskWDqd0bJoaMkkf.jpg

Title: Bullitt

Genre: Thriller, Action, Crime

Director: Steven Spielberg

Cast: Bradley Cooper

Plot: An original story about no-nonsense San Francisco cop Frank Bullitt. Premise TBA.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

I saw this news story today and found it hard to believe that Steven Spielberg wants to remake Bullitt. But apparently he’s discussing the idea of a new film based on Steve McQueen’s Frank Bullitt character from the 1968 film.

I know there’s quite a few fans here of the original film, myself definitely am a fan. So at first I thought this was nuts, as it was teased as a remake. But if it’s a film based on the character and probably a modern take on him, that sort of makes sense, like another actor playing James Bond. Steve McQueen’s son Chad McQueen and granddaughter Molly will be producing this film too. I imagine this will be made in San Francisco and use a modern Mustang.

Spielberg is working on another project now, so I imagine this new Bullitt film won’t be made for some time. What do you guys think? And who would play him?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
My initial reaction is, why? Trying to keep an open mind, but...

The original film is an icon of the '60s and I have a difficult time imagining a contemporary version that could improve upon it. Perhaps more importantly, filling Steve McQueen's shoes in one of his most memorable roles is going to be a pretty tall order.

- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, why!

I think there was talk from some that Daniel Craig bore some of that McQueen flavor. Though he’s probably a bit old for the role now.

In reading the reactions of this news on the Road and Track website, a lot of people just don’t get the original movie. I think it is a solid story if you pay attention and get the twist. So a new movie would have to have a solid story and a car chase would not be required. But I‘m sure a lot of people would expect it to have a chase. Just like the Italian Job remake.

Maybe Jacqueline Bisset would have a cameo.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
In terms of actors who might work in a remake / reimagining of the original. I'll mention two in passing.

Ryan Gosling - He has already done a film notable for some of its car sequences (Drive), and he can definitely project aloofness.

Jeremy Renner - He is a versatile actor and he could handle world weariness in his sleep if that were required for the role.

- Walter.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Back in the 80s, there was an update of McQueen's TV series Wanted Dead or Alive, with Rutger Hauer. So theoretically, I don't see a problem doing an update of Bullitt. I can't say I'm all that sanguine about it being worthwhile, but crazier things have been known to happen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That was a good question. Had to look it up. I believe it was The Terminal in 2004.
I forgot about that one. Off the top of my head, the others would be the two Jurassic Park movies and Always and that's going back over 30 years of work. The man loves the past and the future. :)

EDIT: War Of The Worlds from 2005 is modern day too.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Spielberg doing a new Bullitt adventure film? I'm in.

Spielberg choosing a young actor to inevitably be compared with Steve McQueen? I'm so in.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
If Spielberg just wants to remake 60s movies from now on, I might have a list.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan

I saw this news story today and found it hard to believe that Steven Spielberg wants to remake Bullitt. But apparently he’s discussing the idea of a new film based on Steve McQueen’s Frank Bullitt character from the 1968 film.

I know there’s quite a few fans here of the original film, myself definitely am a fan. So at first I thought this was nuts, as it was teased as a remake. But if it’s a film based on the character and probably a modern take on him, that sort of makes sense, like another actor playing James Bond. Steve McQueen’s son Chad McQueen and granddaughter Molly will be producing this film too. I imagine this will be made in San Francisco and use a modern Mustang.

Spielberg is working on another project now, so I imagine this new Bullitt film won’t be made for some time. What do you guys think? And who would play him?
In simple English. It's just a B.S. remake.
They can't think of anything new now.
They don't know-how.
To much work.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In simple English. It's just a B.S. remake.
They can't think of anything new now.
They don't know-how.
To much work.
I think you're wrong. They specifically stated it's not going to be a remake of the 1968 film. They're just taking the character of Frank Bullitt and doing a different film about that character.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think you're wrong. They specifically stated it's not going to be a remake of the 1968 film. They're just taking the character of Frank Bullitt and doing a different film about that character.
Correct. Based on the info out there, saying that this is a remake is like saying that one of Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey is a remake of one of the Basil Rathbone ones. Same character, new story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks