What's new

Spend 6 hours with my new PCi today, here is my first impression (1 Viewer)

Chris_O

Agent
One month after I placed my order for my 20-39 PCi it finally arrived. I have to admit I was a little hesitant about ordering a sub that I have never heard but after reading so many positive comments I thought I'd take a chance. Worse case I have 45 days to send it back if it doesn't meet my expectations. Well I had the house to myself for about 6 hours today and all I can say is my SVS isn't leaving my house unless someone it pulling it out of my cold dead hands. The bass is awesome, and my entire system seems louder and cleaner.
My first step, after unpacking and drooling, was to place it in a corner and calibrate using avia. Now that is out of the way lets throw in Toy Story 2 and TPM and see what she can do. Well I have some good bass but it's not the gut wrenching bass I was hearing about, something must be wrong. Threw avia back in and check the test tone, getting 85db easily, so I ran avia's LFE frequency sweep and the bass it strong until about 40HZ and then a major drop off on the SPL Meter, at least 20 DB. I do have a large opening to the kitchen on that side of the room, maybe it is more of a factor than I thought. I moved the sub to the corner on the opposite side of the room. Checked the test tones and still getting 85 db, so I ran the LFE frequency sweep again. Major improvement, I still get some drop off below 30HZ but no more that 10db. So if you factor in the corrections for the Radio Shack SPL meter I was only loosing a couple of DB's at 20 HZ. That's more like it.
I threw Toy Story 2 back in and hit play. Wow, my entire room was shaking. I could feel it in the floor, my couch, and my bones. This is amazing. My dogs didn't like it though, they went running to the other end of the house. Then played some of the TPM, Haunting DTS, ID4, etc... It was amazing, I even cranked it up to reference level, no distortion or bottoming of the sub at all. My room is only 14ft by 16ft with 8ft ceiling and only one opening about 5ft.
I usually listen to about 90% HT and only 10% music but I threw some music in anyway and It was amazing too. The bass was fast and tight. I tried everything from Beasty Boys, Metallica, and some old Tecno ultimate bass cd's I had. The CD even had a warning sticker. "Warning extremely low bass, may damage speakers" The SVS ate it up. I cranked the volume as loud as I could stand it and no problems. I think my ears bottomed out though.:)
I have some serious DVD watching planned for this weekend ( I quit watching while I was waiting for my SVS ) but so far I am very happy with my purchase. After reading a lot of post on this forum the past few months I was beginning to think some of you were overly obsessed with SVS but now I understand what you are feeling. This is one amazing sub. Thanks Ron and Tom for all of you hard work on the new PCi, it has definitely paid off.
Chris:D :D

Arron H

Second Unit
Great review. Your room is the exact same size as mine and I to have a five foot opening to another room. I will make sure to place the sub on the opposite side of the room as far away from that opening as possible ;) Waiting is sure tough!!!

Chris_O

Agent
Yes, the waiting was the worst part but it was definitly worth it. I read a lot about room placement for subs but I really didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but the difference was huge.

Chris

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

subwoofer performance is largely dependent on the position of the sub in the room. Because of room modal patterns...optimizing the placement of any speakers asked to produce

I too recently received my new sub (25-31PCi). Tested it out at the office before bringing it home, making the ceiling tiles shake and letting everybody on the floor (and probably some not on the floor :) ) know about my new toy. (This was all after I realized that my new Onkyo 600 was set to disable subwoofer on incoming non-digital audio, which I soon remedied)
When I got it home, similar performance, though this time it was the floor that was shaking. (This was after the brief moment of no sound, at which point I realized my DVD player had the DTS bitstream output disabled). Anyway, the word to describe it is incredible. I haven't even gone above 25% with the thing, and the bass is IMMENSE! I feel I could quite easily drive my neighbors insane with this thing (the joys of apartment living :frowning: ). I watched the opening scene of Gladiator last night to test a speaker I just hooked up (been setting up my JBL NSP1 package a couple speakers a day, still have one to go)...even without the left front speaker, it felt like I was in the middle of a battle. The pounding bass as the catapults slammed vats of oil into trees was simply incredible.
I wonder if it's too early to leave work?
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Suffice to say, even compared to my father's system I setup for him at home (Denon 3802, Paradigm Studio 40s all around, SVS 20-39CS soon to be with upgraded driver), this system gets :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: .
Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks