speker placement

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ramon A, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Ramon A

Ramon A Agent

ok I have a dual purpose room. Billiard and HT
    the dimensions are 35'wide x 17.5 deep.
    I heard proper minimum distance for rear surrounds is 3.3' or 1 meter from seating.
    I have matched plipsch speakers with the dipole surrounds.
    now my problem is my HT area is 10'wide x 17.5' deep
    and with the seating 3.3'off the wall, which can be done anesthetically the room looks better with seating all the way back or just off the wall.
    now if i mount the speakers up where the wall and ceiling meet pointing them down at the seating area will this give me acceptable theater sound.

2. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

ive done this, and it sounds decent, but it doesnt quite "surround you". its a different sounding affect, but still good. you'll just have to try it and see if you like it.

Johnny

3. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I love Plipsch speakers [​IMG]

4. Ramon A

Ramon A Agent

Since I posted this question I have not received much res ponce.
    so I went to dolby online.
    and speaker set up according to them is a bit different than what I've heard on some past posts.
    according to dolby labs for optimum surround. rear speakers should be at the side or just behind of seating area pointing directly at each other and 2-3 feet above the listener.
    for 6.1 & 7.1 set up is the same with the addition of 1 or 2 speakers added to the middle facing the screen 4 feet apart and at the same hight as the right and left.
    as well as all front speakers should be at the same hight if possible and this hight should be the same as the head hight of listeners.

if any one else needs help with speaker positioning, I
    suggest you go to dolby web page because they have many different setups and diagrams to maximize your room situation.
    so thanks for not responding it made me go to the source of surround technology for my answers.