What's new

Speed 5* Censor Problem (1 Viewer)

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I finally picked up a copy of the new Speed 5* and was pretty psyched to watch it.

Well, my first question is - has anyone actually VIEWED the entire movie yet? All i've been reading is "this is the best five star yet" "go out and buy - don't think twice" "this is a flawless audio/video demo disc"

well i challenge all of you to go to chapter 20 (1 hour, 10 minutes, and around 30 seconds or so) where Keanu is talking to Hopper on the phone.

Hopper yells "Alright I want you back real fast!"
yet anyone can clearly see thats not what his mouth was saying. It was a feeling like watching the movie on network tv. Edited to a pg-13 film.

I'm so pissed off -- it looks like 20th century fox dropped the ball big time. Please i'm asking any of you out there to check this. It doesn't seem like an isolated mistake. I have a feeling it is like this on all copies.

We all got the edited for tv version......

Bob Partovi

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't had the chance to buy it yet. The shiny silver packaging always puts me into a trance when i pick it up and then i forget about everything.:D

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Another case of much ado about nothing...
The "bad looping" in the scene where Payne tells Jack he wants him back on the bus "real fast" was the same in the original theatrical release, the VHS release, the LD release and the previous DVD release.
IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT.
If you think you got the "edited for TV" version, I suggest you watch the whole film again and take note of all of the other profanity that's on display. Or did you skip the "Fuck me!" / "Oh darn..." scene?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
But it's still supposed to have the older Fox opening, not the newer CG-one- Speed was the very last film to use the older opening but they changed it on the first LD release!

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I saw Speed twice in the theaters and I noticed the same thing. I just chalked it up to bad looping.

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed the same thing when I was watching - and thought nothing of it. I just assumed it was in the theatrical cut.
What I did notice was 2 issues:
- The worst layer change I have seen on a DVD since the early years. I don't think it's my player (Sony 530) as I haven't noticed a bad layer change in a long time. It froze for about a second, and then I missed a split second of audio when it changed scenes.
- This may be my player, but I turned subtitles on for a second (actually on the above scene to see if it matched with "real fast", which it did). After I turned the subtitles off, during the rest of the movie I got occasional French subtitles. They weren't for dialogue, but for scenes when there was a sign or something you had to read on screen. It happened when they showed the gas guage on the bus when they were running out - it said gas in French. Also when Keanu was looking at the subway map when he decides to speed up the train to derail it, it said something about the map in French. One other time that was really funny was when they panned to Sandra's sweatshirt that said Arizona, the subtitle "Arizona" come on the screen. Thanks for that... :)
I had to actually eject the disc and put it back in to get rid of the subtitles.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Heh, no flames against Ryan or anything, but I just find it funny how some of these things can piss people off so easily. I mean, this scene in Speed is just like the bad cut in Poltergeist, or the censored "Fuck" in Galaxy Quest. Some people are so quick to get up in arms protesting something when they dont even realize that it was always like that.

As for the disc, I really was impressed with the 2 disc set. Last night, I just listened to the commentary with the producer and the writer (not the Jan de Bont one) and it was excellent. Very lively, funny, and informative...the 3 essential qualities (IMO) of a great commentary!

And I havent noticed any subtitle problems like Pete mentioned.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I just watched my new Speed disc the other night. The DTS soundtrack was incredible! One of the best I've heard. The picture quality was quite good as well. The layer change was indeed ill-placed, though. That's my only complaint - and it's a minor one. The disc is definitely reference quality.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
After I turned the subtitles off, during the rest of the movie I got occasional French subtitles. They weren't for dialogue, but for scenes when there was a sign or something you had to read on screen. It happened when they showed the gas guage on the bus when they were running out - it said gas in French.
Do you have a Sony player? I do and I get the same thing on certain discs.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
After you have watched this a zillion times, don't forget to listen to the commentary with Yost and Gordon, screenplay writer and producer. This is quite hilarious and they make so much fun of Jan DeBont at times. This was quite good!!!!!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Ryan_TD would be screaming from the rooftops if he saw Galaxy Quest, which has several lines containing R-rated language looped with PG alternatives (the most obvious being "FUCK THIS!" changed to "SCREW THIS").

Galaxy Quest had several lines of dialog changed after the producers felt that it would play better as a PG family film than a PG-13 or R rated sci-fi film.

Dialog is looped in essentially every film you see- I'm surprised it took you this long to notice. Lines are changed in post production to cover up for cuts made to the overall story, among a dozen other reasons.

-Vince

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have a Sony player? I do and I get the same thing on certain discs.
Yes, I have a Sony S530D. This is the 1st time I have seen this problem, but I rarely turn on subtitles, so it may happen on other discs. And, like I said, it went away after I reinserted the disc, so it only happens if you turn the subtitles on and then off again.

Randy Torres

Stunt Coordinator
How about this one. Hopper holds the phone with his right hand because he has no thumb on his left hand. In the same scene as "i want you back on this bus" about 60 seconds earlier when hopper is talking to reaves about negotiators, he snaps his fingers with his left hand. Kinda hard to do that without a thumb. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks