What's new

Special Offer on NEC LT 150 (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Gil:
The unfortunate expense that goes with owning one of these types of projectors, LCD/DLP/D-ILA, is the cost of the replacement bulbs. All of these have expensive bulb replacement as a high light output bulb is required to give you a bright picture.
As far as getting a discount on replacement bulbs I don't believe there is enough margin in one of these to be able to offer any type of discount.
Parker

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone using the LT 150 with a 16x9 screen?
Do you just set it up at a throw distance of the same as a 4:3 of the same width and squash the vertical down? Can you adjust the vert size enough to use a 16x9 screen? Does this seriously reduce the light level? Do LCD/Dila based projectors suffer burn from not using the whole face?
I have a CRT so I'm familiar with the concwpts of this projector- wondering if anyone could fill me in on the particulars of using a native 4:3 LCD based projector on my 16x9 screen.
-Vince
PS; Is there a program like PJ Calc that will determine throw distances for my situation? I have a 64 inch wide screen installed and would like to use it for the new projector- need to check to see what throw distances would be.
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on August 13, 2001 at 11:48 PM]

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
The LT150 has a native mode which will place the 4:3 image in the middle of a 16:9 screen, give or take a few pixels.
In other words it is height constant rather than width constant.
You do lose some light output doing this.
BTW, the LT150 is already a superb projector for HT, but there are some mods being worked on at AVS which will make it even better.
Try an 1100:1 contrast with no loss in brightness.
:)
Steve
------------------
Link Removed

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I too am getting very curious about this. Although, by the time I am ready to buy, there will probably be new technology available. I am looking at getting into this when I get a house if I can save up enough money. This will be sometime in the summer of 2002.
I too am wondering if DLP and LCD suffer from burn-in (or actually non burn-in from lack of use) in the black bars area if you are using a native 4:3 projector.
I was also going to start a new thread, but maybe this is as good as anywhere to post it. How does a line doubler like the DVDO i-scan (or whatever its called... I'm new to the video side of HT) interface with all this. I am just wondering how that effects the resolution output etc. with different sources like DVD, VHS and cable TV. I was trying to read the resolution info at projectorpeople's website, but I only understood about 25% of it. The iscan converts incoming sources to 480p correct? Does the NEC projector in this thread accept 480p?
Also, does anyone watch standard TV with their projection system? I am talking about regular cable coming in and switching channels with the VCR or something. What are the results? Do you use a line doubler in this case?
I have read on this forum before that some people (for cost reasons) are still using a wall painted a special color to project onto. Is that a bad idea, that is, is a screen critical. This is not a huge concern for me as projectorpeople seem to have very good prices on screens.
I noticed that the I-scan does not accept componant inputs. Will a DVD running through the I-scan with S-video look better than a DVD with no line doubling but componant video?
I have so many questions I hardly know where to begin (or stop as you can tell)
------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Charles:
Thanks for your questions about these projectors. Hopefully we can get some answers on them here in this thread. If not you may want to start another thread on the subject and get some more feedback.
Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Stephen:
Do you know how much he is charging to tweak these projectors? I didn't notice that in the thread. 1100:1. That I would LOVE to see.
Parker

KeithR

Second Unit
I think "Thumperization" cost varies, but is usually around 500 bucks. Not bad at all considering the real work he puts in....he totally redoes the machine and takes his time to make it right. I hear the results are really well worth the money. I want to see 1100:1 contrast as well...that is what the new Sharp advertises. I doubt it is correct on the sharp...and wonder if Thumper has raised the contrast, but to the point that other parts of the picture aren't as good. He is running movies on the LT150s now I believe to doublecheck and make sure.
Cheers,
Keith

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
It cost $550 to have the Plus UP1100 I used have 'Thumpered', and it was worth it. These mods may be cheaper as the NEC doesn't have some of the problems of the Plus.
To answer the question about line doublers, you can use an iScan with the LT150 through the VGA port. The down side is that you lose control over aspect ratio.
There is a fix though, you need to set the iScan to output component.
I use my LT150 for cable/sports as well as movies. I run the cable through the S-Video input. It is a bit soft, but given the quality of most cable broadcasts livable.
I then run progressive component from my DVD player direct to the VGA/Component input. One press of the remote switches between them, and also switches aspect ration for the widescreen DVD picture.
And yes, S-video into an iScan will look much better than interlaced component.
Cheers
Steve
[Edited last by Stephen Dodds on August 14, 2001 at 04:06 PM]

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
quote:
I too am wondering if DLP and LCD suffer from burn-in (or actually non burn-in from lack of use) in the black bars area if you are using a native 4:3 projector.
I suppose it might be possible in some extreme cases but under normal usage, no, digital projectors do not suffer from burn-in.
quote:
The iscan converts incoming sources to 480p correct? Does the NEC projector in this thread accept 480p?
Yes and yes. The NEC also accepts interlaced composite and s-video, HDTV timings, and standard computer resolutions.
quote:
I have read on this forum before that some people (for cost reasons) are still using a wall painted a special color to project onto. Is that a bad idea, that is, is a screen critical.
That depends on what you consider to be critical. You obviously will get better results from a good screen. But watching on a wall is probably still acceptable for some. The wall also has the advantage that you don't have to mount anything. If you can afford it and don't mind mounting it, definitely get a screen.
[Edited last by Dzung Pham on August 14, 2001 at 09:05 PM]

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
My viewing distance would be roughly 8-10ft.(11x17 room)
The projector would probably end up directly above my head, 8ft ceiling. Would the noise of the projector be distracting?
Also, what screen size could I go with,16:9?
My room has blackout blinds also, what gain screen would you recommend?
Sorry for all the questions but I'm very interested in this projector. :)

GaryM

Agent
I did evaluate the LT150 before buying a VT540 - I want to correct some misunderstandings in the thread above.
Screen size - the LT150 is a fixed throw projector with no zoom, so use the projection calculator at http://www.projectorcentral.com/ to determine the screen size for any projection distance. Also, take the time to refer to the projection tables in the manual and note the difference between "table" and "ceiling mount" orientation, and plan an install where you don't use the digital keystone feature at all.
Screen Shape - the LT150 is a fixed 4:3 aspect ratio when used with a HTPC and the VGA input, the "Aspect Ratio" feature doesn't work. So the DVD player letterboxes the widescreen movies for you. You should use VGA and "Native" resolution while feeding 1024X768X72Hz from the HTPC for the best picture. Second best is a progressive scan DVD player via the "Component Video" inputs, and the projector scaler will be in use and thus "Aspect Ratio" will work.
Screen - use a 4:3 screen with a 4:3 projector, anything else is foolish. Use a 0.7-1.5 gain screen to minimize the famous "rainbow artifact", visible to about 10-15% of viewers of DLP images. Rainbows can further be minimized by higher refresh rates which spin the color wheel faster. I evaluated this unit on a 1.0 gain matte white DIY surface, which was a good choice.
Lastly, don't be too quick to judge until you have used either Avia or Video Essentials to tweek the projector - "out of the box" evaluations are not very meaningfull.
If you absolutely can't stand the DLP rainbows, consider an upgrade to an LCD unit - the VT540 only costs $500 more and has a zoom lens to boot, a real convenience.
Gary

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
So, the LT 150 is a constant height projector then, correct? That means if I wanted to switch between 16x9 material and 4x3 material, I wouldn't have any screen size issues on a 16x9 screen? I do most of my watching in 16x9 mode, but I don't want to have to change the height of the screen. Would prefer the "black bars" on the sides when watching 4x3 material. Would this projector be the right choice for that?

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
RyanL -- I don't own an LT150 (yet!), but from what I've seen, it is a constant-width projector. 4:3 panels means that a 16:9 image is centered in the 4:3 space (i.e., letterboxed). LT150 will scale a 16:9 image (equivalent of the "squeeze trick") so you can benefit from anamorphic DVDs, but the projected image is 4:3 including black bars.
With an LT150, and a 16:9 screen, 4:3 material will spray well above and below your screen. There might be a special setting to center 4:3 content in a 16:9 window, but I can't guess where that would be.
You might mate the projector with an anamorphic lens; but that could get to be expensive and a hassle. Since it's so portable, I'm just going to use two projector placements: for 4:3, it goes 8 feet from the screen; for 16:9, I'll extend it to 10.
:)

StephenL

Second Unit
The NEC LT150 can be used with a 16:9 screen by setting the Aspect Ratio to Cinema. This aspect ratio uses a 1024x576 portion of the DMD. I'm using a Panasonic RP91 DVD player which scales 4:3 DVDs to maintain the proper aspect ratio on a 16:9 screen. 4:3 S-Video sources can be displayed at 640x480 centered within the 1024x576 screen by setting Resolution to Native. A video processor/scaler or home theater PC may also be able to provide aspect ratio control. I'd rather display 4:3 sources within a 16:9 screen because my 4:3 sources are generally of lower quality and resolution. For me this makes more sense than displaying 16:9 DVD and HDTV sources within a 4:3 screen.

P

Pieter_L

RyanL
the LT150 may not be a good choice to use w/ a 16:9 screen.
remember, the solution mentioned above (Panasonic RP91 DVD player) will only solve the DVD problem. if you plan to use the projector w/ OTHER sources (cable, sattelite, etc), you still have a problem, unless you get into scalers, HTPC, etc.
you may also need masking above & below your 16:9 screen for the spill light from the 4:3 panel
using the "native" option w/out scalers/HTPC means you will NEVER use all the pixels of the LT150 chip.
i would recommend a 16:9 native projector to match your screen if you want ease of use and/or do not want outboard scaling
[Edited last by Pieter_L on August 27, 2001 at 12:58 AM]

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
Could anybody suggest a similarily priced 16x9 native projector? Not really looking to spend over $2500-3000. If I were able to get a 16x9 projector for that price, then I'd definetly jump on it. I too think that would be the way to go for me, but they all seem relatively expensive.

Jon_Mx

Agent
>i would recommend a 16:9 native projector to match your >screen if you want ease of use and/or do not want outboard >scaling
First there are no 16:9 native projectors that come anywhere close to the LT150 on a price/performance level. Second there is no need for scaling, you just watch the 4:3 image inside the 16:9 screen (bars on the side). The downside of the LT150 is that it has no zoom, so that means you will likely have to be able to relocate the projector to do this. I own two 4:3 projector (Sanyo XP21N and LT150), both perform awesome on 16:9 material without any outboard scaling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks