Speakers may not work on some receivers? Why not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I know about the 4 Ohms vs. 8 Ohms issue, but what other factor could make a certain set of speakers not suited for a certain receiver?

I talked to a Paradigm rep yesterday, I'm interested in upgrading my plastic HTiB Speakers to Titans (Mains), Atoms (Rears) and CC170. He told me I'll be fine with my Kenwood 509, but I asked just like that, how much were the Studio 100s and not only are they way over my budget but apparently, my Kenwood would be no good for them, that I could damage it in the long run. Anyone knows why?

2. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Hi Martin, Short answer = clipping. That Kenwood wouldn't be able to drive a load like the Studio 100's (which dip below 4 ohms) without causing distortion. I'm sure another member can jump in and explain in more detail.

Aaron

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

4. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael

5. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Shane, I've heard the exact opposite thing about Yamaha/Paradigm combos. When I bought my system 2+ years ago, I asked about this sort of thing specifically and was told that bright receivers (such as Yamahas) are a good match with warm speakers (such as Paradigm).

Maybe others can clear this up...

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Monitor line I would describe as "warm". The Studio line, with a lot of amplification, I feel sound bright, almost harsh (at very loud levels, above ref). "Bright" meaning more emphasis in the upper frequencies, and lacking a smooth, "airy" feel. The studios sound very crisp to me, but still very detailed, and will definitely be affected by the choice of amplification.

I would not expect lower end Yamahas to pair well with Studios, but the top models would likely sound great, but you never know. It's up to the individual's tastes.

7. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Actually, even with 105wpc x 6, I would not expect my Marantz SR-6200 to work completely effectively with 40s. I would either upgrade to external amplification, or upgrade to a more powerful receiver.
    A friend of mine is running a studio CC and 40s as mains via an SR-19 (120wpc, I believe), and it is pretty amazing, but the highs are a bit harsh when turned up. It's doesn't sound quite like clipping, but I can't tell if it's because they are not getting enough oomph from the amp or not (probably is). That is at levels much, much higher than comfortable listening though...[​IMG]

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

10. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

This is a bit off-topic but what would B&W600 series speakers be classed as (warm/bright). I have a full set of these running off a Yammy DSP-A3090, I love the sound, just curious of how the B&W sound would be described? I'm guessing they would be a 'warm' sounding speaker but I dont have anything to compare them to. Opinions?

I also have a low end Yammie RXV493 (I think) when using this receiver to power the B&Ws the sound is quite harsh at higher volumes compered to the 3090.

I take it the low end Yammies are considerably brighter than the high end Yammie receivers.

Harry.