What's new

Speaker Wire Suggestions... (1 Viewer)

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
I need suggestions on which speaker wire to use for my HT. My budget is $100 for all speaker wire connections. I need to run my surround speaker wire through the wall, across the attic and down another wall. Do I need a different type wire because I'm going through the attic? Also, I need a wire recommendation for my fronts, but the wire will be ran under the base boards instead of the attic.

My front speakers are JBL S38II's and the surrounds are S36II's. I want a big enough wire quality wire to not hold back these speakers, but my budget is somewhat limiting. Thanks!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Likely building code specifies CL2/3 rated wire for in-wall. Partsexpress has that I believe in 12 gauge. You can use connection plates where the wire enters and leaves the wall for a neat appearance. If you're running under the wood then the thickness of the wire might be an issue. There are flat wires or maybe a 14 or 16 gauge might be needed for clearance.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
What gauge wire should I buy to righteously support these JBL's? Also, the amp is going to be the new Harman KArdon AVR230 (55 solid watts per channel). Thanks!

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
John, I also was in the same dilemna a few years ago when I needed to wire up my surrounds. At the time I went with Acoustic Research Pro Series 14/4 Four Conductor In Wall Speaker Cable @ .50 cents a foot. I twisted 2 of the wires together for a combined 11ga. For the wallplates I went to Lowes and bought a few blank ones. I drilled several holes in the one that ran from the amp into the wall, and then a single hole for the wire to fit thru for the surrounds and a two for the subs. I then used Dayton bananas for the termination points to the speakers/amp. :)

However you can probably get a better deal on speaker wire @ AC4L. The have some nice IXOS wire at an attractive price. in-wall speaker wire

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
John, in that table, the 4-6-8-ohm colums for 10-12 gauge wire only has dashes "------" in most colums. What does that mean?

I'm planning on using 12-gauge wire for my 6-ohm surrounds...probably a 30-foot run once you go up the wall, thru the attic and down again.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Pardon the uneducated question, but how many ohms are my speakers (JBL S38II, S36II & S-CenterII)? Thanks!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Like JohnM, I also used AR's 4/14 in-wall speaker cable for wiring the first floor of my house. While at 50 cents a foot, it seems pricy, you're getting 4 conductors so you can do 2 speakers with one run. I used Radio Shack wall plates and then ran AR non-in wall wire to the actual speakers. Wall plates with connectors look nice but make more connections - it depends on your preference. For us, it made more sense since it's easier to make a new patch cable when things move.
And everything works which is also a nice plus :)

cheers,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks