What's new

Speaker wire and A/V cables near elec. wires (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Hello, I am ready to run speaker wire in basement ceiling. I have numerous Romex power runs due to lighting, etc. in ceiling. Does it matter how close speaker wires are to electrical wires if I put speaker wire in conduit(should I use PVC or metal conduit? I also plan to use conduit from my equipment rack to future front projector for video cables, etc.(Should this be metal or PVC conduit?). I hope to buy conduit tomorrow, so I need your opinions ASAP. Thanks.

Dave Manning

Auditioning
I try to keep min 12" away from romex.. If you have to cross, keep them at 90 degrees.

Conduit, PVC is much easier to work with, and even more, carlon makes this orange flex tube that has pull string already in it. It looks like "smurf tube"

Good Luck.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Dave, are you saying I need to keep at least 12 inches between speaker wire and electical wires, even IF SPEAKER WIRES ARE IN CONDUIT? Thanks for your help.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Plastic conduit isn't going to do squat to shield the wires and metal should not be used for other reasons, so yes.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks