What's new

Speaker upgrade path (1 Viewer)

Patrick-J

Agent
Right now I have a Yamaha RX-V495 Receiver DD 5.1, no DTS. hooked up to an original Energy Take 5 system with the 8" sub. I'd eventually like to have a new speaker setup with something like Energy C-3s or B&W DM 601s driven by a set of separates. I use this setup in a fairly small room for a blend of music and movies. As of late I've been on this "don't spend it till you've earned it" kick so I can't do this all at once and was thinking about the order that I'd like to upgrade in over the next 18 months or so. I'd like some opinions on the order.

Step 1) replace the two take-5 fronts and possibly the center with new bookshelves.

Step 2) To give them a bit better power, get a pair of outlaw monoblock amps to drive them.

Step 3) replace the rear surrounds and sub woofer.

Step 4) get outlaw 7.1 pre/pro and 5 channel amp for rear surround and possible additional speakers later. keep the monoblocks for the mains.

Thoughts?

Thanks Patrick

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi

I would do Step 1, then 3 and then 2,4

I think you'll notice a big difference going to better speakers first, then adding more power

Just my .02 (CDN funds)

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick, usually you'll get the most bang for your buck by changing speakers (unless your current receiver is struggling). Try to change the L/R/C all at the same time. If the Energy's sound good to you as surrounds, then you can then look at 6/7.0 processing since you'll already have the extra speakers.

Personally, I think the monoblocks are overkill for the 601's. :) Adding a sub and setting your mains at small will probably give you a greater overall improvement than just upgrading your power. See how your receiver does with the new speakers.

If you can hold off on the processing, the pre/pro's will most likely be better over the next couple years, and you might be able to get one 7-channel amp to keep your rack neater than 2 mono's and a five.

Have Fun!

Leon

Patrick-J

Agent
Excellent, Thanks for the advice guys. I'd forgotten what the power was on my Yamaha. I'd thought it was 50 watts/channel but it's 70, so that should get me by longer than I'd thought. I think I'll work on getting the sub before thinking about more power.

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks