What's new

Speaker Package vs Individual Speakers for HT (1 Viewer)

nigel_jim

Auditioning
Continuing from an earlier thread:

I am a big fan of the Wharfdale 8.1 and Mission 7 Series speakers (I am an entry level buyer at this time), and would love to have them as a part of my HT.

I am thinking of the Marantz 4100 as a DVD/CD player coupled with the Marantz SR4200 Receiver - so a capable music player - my question is:

--> am i better to get a HT speaker package (which I believe will not compliment my music discs) or can I have Wharfdale 8.1 speakers, for example, as my front and rear speakers and then buy a separate centre speaker and woofer? Will this impact the quality of the movie soud tracks? I suspect my HT will be used for 60-40 music-movies?

I hope that all made sense.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Are these Mission speakers bookshelf/monitor style? If so, buy a third for the center.

Here is the issue: more and more movies are sending dialog to the L/R speakers as the actors move to the edges of the screen. There are also a lot of special effects that swirl around your speakers. You want a nearly identical center speaker for the L/R so the sound does not change as they transistion.

If not a matched set, you want the center speaker to have the same type/size tweeter as the L/R to get close.

(Some people swear by have 3 identical front speakers)

The sub: you dont need to worry about mixing different brands of subs with different speakers. There is not a tone-match issue here.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
You want a nearly identical center speaker for the L/R so the sound does not change as they transistion.
as usual, i agree with bob! :)
timbre matching is important, otherwise, you'll have different sound characteristics coming from each speaker.
so that harley motorcycle in the left speaker will suddenly sound like a moped when it gets to the center speaker.
not a good thing...
most speaker companies now manufacture speaker "packages"...whereby all the speakers are timbre-matched. whether it's sold as a package, or piece by piece, you're essentially going to get the same quality and performance.

nigel_jim

Auditioning
Thanks guys.

I think rather than buy a "package", I am going to buy three front speakers (of the same type - possible B&W DM303's) and then look for some reasonable, but smaller rear speakers.

I will add a woofer in a few months. This way I know that my music will sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks