What's new

Speaker Layout Help Needed (1 Viewer)

Josh Mc

Grip
Hello All,

Right now my wife and I are in the process of building a new house. We(I) want to set up a 5.1, or possibly a 7.1, system in the family room. Current equipment includes 2 Infinity tower fronts, Infinity center, Infinity Sub, and 2 Infinity bookshelves. Planned equipment is a Pioneer VSX-815-S and a Panasonic 42" Plasma.

Where I am having problems is planning the surround locations due to the strange shape of the room. Here is the floor plan for the room, including planned furniture location:

I have labeled the walls with letters. We plan to put the Plasma on Wall A. There will also be a door on this wall, but the location can change when the TV location is decided.

My real problem is where to put the side and rear surrounds, due to the odd shape of the rear wall. I would like to use my existing bookshelf speakers, plus one set of Infinity CS60 in-walls for surround. I am also considering ditching the bookshelfs in favor of 4 CS60's.

So, can anyone help me with the location of speakers? If you could, please refer to the wall letters to keep things clear.

Thanks So Much,

Josh

Jeremy.H

Auditioning
In a 5.1 system I'd put 1 on wall C and on H. In a 7.1 system I'd put 1 set in the corners C-D, G-H. The second set ain't gonna be right with that room layout, but you could still put them on walls C & H. Can you mount the plasma over the fireplace? If you could do that, then the setup would be a lot easier.

I'd recomend staying away from in-wall speakers for your surrounds. The CS60s only handle up to 100 watts, which doesn't leave much room if you ever upgrade your reciever. If you're sure you want in-walls, I would recommend upgrading to the Infinity ERS110II or the ERSHV250.

One thing you might consider is getting a THX certified reciever and using the MCACC system to orient the speakers. That way the reciever can calculate the optimal sound especially since you have a non-traditional layout. The Pioneer VSX-1015TX would be a good solution with THX Select 2, Best Buy has it for $474 right now.

Good luck to you!

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks