What's new

Speaker cable interference (1 Viewer)

Gavin.F

Grip
Is it ok to run speaker cable next to eachother? Will the wire pick up interference from other channels, or will it be fine?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Speaker wires dont tend to interfere with each other.

But - AC power wires carry a signal that is audible and will interfear with speaker wires. (The fact that the AC power is a constant 60 hz adds to the problem.) Try to keep these apart or only cross them at 90 degrees.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I will piggyback and ask this question. How far apart do the speaker cables and power cables need to be? Are we talking just a couple or few inches?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The power wires generate a magnetic field around them. You want to keep speaker wires and interconnects away from this field. Image the field is 4-6 inches away (and it gets weaker farther away), but running the wires in parallel for many feet has the same effect as they would have bundled together tightly for 1 foot.

So 4-6 inches as long as it is not a 10 ft run.

Gavin.F

Grip
I was planning to run speaker cable under the floorboards, and to make it a little easier, I was going to use a cable tie to keep them together. Its the reason I asked. Would it be better to just leave them a little distance apart?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks