What's new

Pre-Order Soundies: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
sorry this has been out there many ,many years we all know what can be done to restore old films with what's available today Thats not a way to look at this set
I’ve got to side with Kino on this. If these were all properly restored, there would be a set of ten Soundies Vol. 1, at the same price point.

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
This set has no chapter marks for each Soundie!!!! what a stupid mistake!!!
Instead, you get groups of shorts as chapters, While most look good
a few look great, and some look Fair at 27 dollars it's a deal!!!
I sampled disc 1 a bit today. Love it! What a treasure trove!

Although individual shorts are not accessible through the menu, there are chapter stops at the front of each short. Each menu-accessible chapter has an intro and eight shorts (same number as a Panoram reel -- in fact some chapters are actual reel contents). You can use the chapter skip button on your remote to skip the intro or skip as many shorts as you like to get to the one you want - all listed in the booklet. I agree menu access by short title would have been nice (maybe it was judged unwieldy give the number of titles), but at least there's an alternative to fast-forwarding through each chapter.

As to transfer quality -- as others have said it's highly variable -- from quite rough to beautiful. But I'd hate to have missed out entirely on such treats as the bizarre and hilarious Harry The Hipster just because it looks crappy (which it does).

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
No one has brought up the fact that better soundies are missing from this set,Like wheres Louis Armstrong?
Henry Red Allen,Tiny grimes ect Maybe there will be a second set But how do include some of the stuff on this set
and exclude "Minnie the Moocher" , I wonder what else they left out.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
No one has brought up the fact that better soundies are missing from this set,Like wheres Louis Armstrong?
Henry Red Allen,Tiny grimes ect Maybe there will be a second set But how do include some of the stuff on this set
and exclude "Minnie the Moocher" , I wonder what else they left out.
I think you're conusing featuered "Short Subjects" with these soundies. the Soundies were exclusive to the Panaram video units, Minnie the Moocher for example, were shown in theaters between the newsreels and cartoons before or after the main or secondary films.
Those you mentioned are a diferent animal ;)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I think you're conusing featuered "Short Subjects" with these soundies. the Soundies were exclusive to the Panaram video units, Minnie the Moocher for example, were shown in theaters between the newsreels and cartoons before or after the main or secondary films.
Huh! why they are called soundies,,made by the same people? didn't know the set had rules.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I have a TV show on Soundies which was shown on TCM with Stuff sadly missing. These are Soundies Like Honeysuckle Rose by Fats Waller how do you not include that? or The other Count Basie Soundie?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks