What's new

sound volume (1 Viewer)

jeff cr

Agent
hey all,

finally finished with my ht setup just got my new dvd player and fairly confident everything is calibrated right. my question is when watching dvd's , i find myself constantly adjusting the volume. most of the dialoge comes out of the center speaker and if i keep it up to the point where it is a comfortable level when the special effects kick in ( gunshots, explosions etc.) it is way to loud i have to cut the volume back slightly. this is especially annoying at night when the kids are in bed. it's just to loud. Any idea whats wrong here. thanks

p.s i turned the subwoofer down and that helps slightly

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Many modern movie soundtracks take full advantage of the wide dynamic range possible with Dolby Digital and DTS (dynamic range is the difference between the loudest and quietest sounds in a recording). Music is often recorded with limited dynamic range, making movie soundtracks sound very loud in comparison. What you are hearing is quite normal.

If you don't like the wide dynamic range these formats offer, all receivers with onboard Dolby Digital processing include a dynamic range compression feature, often called 'night mode' or 'dynamic range compression'.

If you activate this feature (it will be listed in the product's manual) the difference between the loudest and softest sounds is reduced, and you won't feel the need to reduce the volume during louder scenes.

Adam

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

In addition to Adams comments, I would add:

If you did not calibrate with a SPL meter and test tone DVD, consider doing so. If your speakers are not at the same level- often this type of dynamics issues is multiplied.

-Vince

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, on my remote it is labeled "dynamic" and I can chose between 25, 50, 75, and 100%. I always leave mine at 25 or 50% because the range in movies is excessive when you might be disturbing others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks