What's new

Sound Experience (1 Viewer)

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
As I walked around my city of New York yesterday I decided to do some speaker listening. First I went to The Wiz I saw a $6000 Nakamichi setup. I thought it sounded alright but it didn't seem any better than my setup. Also it lacked in features like DD-EX and DTS-ES. I then walked over to see a Bose system similar to my system. It seemed like it sounded quite similar. I continue walking and I see this Jamo 7.1 setup in a living room type room it was hooked on to a Denon 5803 reciever. It sounded amazing playing Pearl Harbor. I decided to leave feeling amazed by the Jamo. I decided to visit Harvey Electronics they have many brands I never heard of. I saw these Sonus Faber Concertino Home Speakers for $995 and thought they sounded so clear. And it isn't even much bigger than my Bose and even cost less. It was truely amazing. The music sounded so clear and almost real in my opinion. I just wanted to talk about my experience listening to something new other than the other normal brands found in most stores. When I got home and turned my Bose on it sounded almost blurry rather unclear compared to the Sonus Faber.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Christopher,
I'm also a NYC member and have done almost the exact same thing as you did only months ago, and yes, my last stop was at Harvey and I also listened to the concertinos. The only female sales person there (who is terrific) invited me to audition all this great gear- the Sonus Faber tweeters were amazingly detailed- made of silk I believe- and the imaging very impressive. We also went in to the HT room to audition the larger Sonus speakers during Mulan Rouge- WOW! Now, with these speakers you pay some good bucks but I think you get a much better performance/dollar ratio than you do with Bose. This is apperently the biggest issue with the Bose line- not that they sound so bad- but that you can get so much better sound for so much less with other speaker manufacturers. Your mistake was not so much to buy the Bose in the first place (others keep reading before you go nuts) but instead to go compare it to something else. Now your stuck with the idea in your head that the Bose sounds like crap when compared to something else. You will get used to the Bose sound again if you let yourself, but always knowing what you now know will eat away at you. The good news is your re-sale value on the Bose will be pretty good. By the way- the concertinos have amazing highs but are still a bit lacking on the lows, but a good sub takes care of that anyway, right? A shop owner here in my part of the concrete jungle just bought some Bose to hook up in his shop- I bit my tongue, for what will he know- unless he starts to compare.

On the real plus side, wasn't it good to know that the $6000 Nakamichi setup didn't seem any better than your setup..unless that's what you paid for your Bose set up:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks