What's new

Sound and Vision HTTuneup and my TV (1 Viewer)

Andy Stocker

Stunt Coordinator
I just noticed something when I'm trying to do calibrations on my Tv with this DVD, it seems like the sides are cropped off and that was confirmed when I played the DVD on my computer and there was more on the sides than what was on my tv. Now I have a Panasonic 47wx53 and I'm using the Samsung HD931 so when I'm in 1080i mode I can't change the aspect (and its still cropped off) and in 480i mode even when I change to 4:3 mode the sides are cropped off...it became very noticeable on the color bar screen where the S in saturation is cut in half. I'm wondering if my screen needs adjusting via service menu, or it is normal for a full screen DVD like this?? Thanks for any help

Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker

Stunt Coordinator
It was on DVI setting B and I changed it to A and it made it a little better but not much. In fact, in the main menu where it shows the TV displaying Sound and Vision etc. half of the tv is cropped off!! I tried changing the DVD setup from widescreen to letter box(I figured it woudln't work) no such luck...I'm wondering how I can check another DVD to see if its ok, I have Gangs of New York and it seemed ok, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Andy

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It's normal for CRT-based TVs to have some overscan. 5% (on each side) is to be expected. You can probably verify the amount of overscan w/ an overscan test pattern from the S&V disc. If it's >5%, then you might want to reduce it to 5% via the service menu. If you reduce it much below 5%, you'll introduce difficult geometry problems.

RE: the 4x3 mode, it's kinda odd, but apparently, Panasonic adds a lot of "artificial" overscan along those grey side bars. On my 53wx42 (last year's model), I get ~7% overscan from the grey side bars, and there seems to be no way to reduce that, except to use aspect ratio control on the source device instead -- I rarely use the TV's 4x3 mode anyway as I defer to the DVD player or set-top box instead since I don't like the rather bright grey side bars.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks