What's new

Sopranos reruns on HBO (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Not too long ago, there was thread discussing the prospects for reruns of The Sopranos' second season on HBO. According to a piece in today's Wall Street Journal, HBO will begin rebroadcasting the first three seasons on Sundays from 8-9pm Eastern time, beginning on August 12 and continuing for 39 weeks.
Other salient news (some of it reported in the New York Times yesterday and today):
David Chase has signed on for a possible fifth season, if HBO decides they want to have one.
Season 4 will go into production in October. The earliest that HBO will broadcast it will be June 2002, but it may be held until as late as September 2002.
The following point relates to a Season 3 episode: Spoiler: Chase never planned on a reappearance of the Russian veteran who escaped from Paulie and Chris in the snowy woods, and he was surprised to learn that fans considered this a loose thread. He viewed the episode as a standalone event.
Other plot comments by Chase here.
M.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I am finally caught up!
In Canada one of the specialty channels started playing Sopranos from season 1. They were playing 6 episodes a week! I was starting to have dreams about the show. Tony and Pussy shot me!
When they got to season 3 it dropped down to one episode a week and tonight they played the season finale.
Thanks for the link to the article. I'm glad Mr. Chase is ready to tackle a new season. It is going to be a long wait until season 4. In the meantime I can watch them all again and pick up things I may have missed.
I wish HBO would release them on DVD sooner.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Mike, you'll appreciate this reaction from Fox.
According to a piece in today's NYTimes, Fox is relieved that the ninth (and probably last) season of X-Files won't have to compete with The Sopranos. Fox believes that the third season of HBO's series was the reason for a drop in X-Files ratings after Duchovny returned to the series. (I'm sure you could offer alternative reasons!
biggrin.gif
)
Here's the link.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on July 18, 2001 at 08:15 AM]

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
That IS amusing.
By their logic the ratings for X-Files should be higher in Canada than in the US since we only recently got the Sopranos.
If I had a choice of one show over the other I would choose Sopranos without a second thought. Actually I would probably tape X while watching Sopranos and then tape Sopranos later in the week when HBO reran it.
It will be tough waiting a year for new Sopranos. Maybe X will fill the void.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks