What's new

Sony's Bristol, PA repair facility fixed 1 thing on my SCD-777ES but broke another (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
My XA777ES quit reading CD's properly last year. SACD's were unaffected. So, about a month ago I finally decided to send it in for warranty work. Bristol had it for about a month and I got it back yesterday. I sent it in double-boxed. It came back single-boxed and they lost one of the 4 end caps. They stuffed bubble wrap on that side in it's stead. I got the player out, hooked it up and lo and behold it played CD's again.

Then I decided to test the digital outputs. BONK! Now neither the coaxial or optical digital outputs work. They were just fine before. I've heard alot of horror stories about Bristol. I'm recluctant to send my baby back to the Bristol house of horrors again but I would like it fixed. I'm even considering mod's at this point, maybe? Any suggestions???

TomCW

Second Unit
Hi Rachael.
They may have negelcted to hook a cable back up when they re-assenbled it. If it was me, I'd take the thing apart and look for any loose or mis-seated cable ends. Disconnect the power cord and observe the same ESD precautions you would for a computer upgrade. If you can't find anything wrong, then send it back to them.

Tom

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
:) Tom, I may let my technican friend attempt to connect the possible loose cable but I won't. I'm weighing my options...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
These guys constantly get bad reviews for repairing gear. (Remember Keith's MD thread?) I've had good luck with a their service center out here, but can't remember at the moment where it's at. Orange County maybe?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Sony's phone centre in India agreed to pay the shipping back to the Bristol House of Horrors. I spent an hour on the phone with an accented dude who tried to tell me that the digital output was turned off and then wanted me to check the other menu options which of course all concern M/C sound. He kept excusing himself briefly to read the manual or ask somebody or somethin'? I kept informing him what the various menu option actually did.

Kevin, it is tempting to try another service centre but it's a long bumpy ride to Kalafornie. My local tech doesn't want to work on it so it'll proably be Bristol bound. Yes! I remember Keith's MD player's demise, ugh!

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Add one more horror story to the bristol Pa plant. I sent a Sony DA5ES to Bristol for repair has told by phone it needed a circuit board replaced instead they sent it back with a note no problem found. I sent it back and they replaced two circuit boards however it came back with different problems, after three trips to Bristol they finally gave up and replaced it with a new DA4ES while a little lower in value at least worked. Might be a good idea to send the Bristol plant to India.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks