What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Boo Hoo! My Sony MDS-JA555ES minidisc deck goes in for repair tomorrow. :o( (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,

The easiest way to stop the "torn-on" bug from ever happening is to simply leave a disc in the drive at all times. Take it out when you want to use the deck. That's what I do with my 320.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Thomas, Philip
While it its true that those two tips to the turn-on bug for JE5x0 based MD decks are a workaround for the glitch, unfortunately, it is not a permanent solution (not the JE520-530, they are based on a redesigned mechanism).
Although I mentioned that I got rid of my JE510 as fast as I could sell it, I knew about the deck's working state because I sold it to a friend of mine (I feel guilty now). I mentioned these exact tips to him, but, while it solved the problem for a long period of time, eventually the disc got jammed inside, damaging the mechanism for good and a guaranteed trip to the service center, minidisc.org has a large database to prove it. He got rid of it and bought a portable.
The problem with this design was a plastic switch that detected the insertion of a disc. It was 11/16" to far from the optimal point. And the only solution I could find was using electrical tape around to make it thicker. It involved too much trouble disassembling the unit. If you still want to continue with the deck, look at the instructions here: http://members.tripod.com/~snnake11/
Otherwise... get rid of it now! Buy a better performing deck, like the JE470 for less than 170$ or a better one if possible.
Hope it helps.

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Keith, it seems like I've been reading this thread off and on for months! If Sony is smart and took a look at your Web site, they'd learn how much money you've spent on their stuff and take care of your deck.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and find out what the consensus of the JE520 is. I've had one for two, maybe three years, and I have never had a problem with it. I gather the 510 was a lemon, but is my model a decent deck or a ticking bomb?

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Mike B.

The JE520 was a complete redesign to quietly replace the flop Sony pulled with the JE510. You notice it once you insert a disc, with the 510 you basicly had you push it down it's throat, with the 520 it was pulled from your fingers smoothly. So the sensor/switch issue the created the famous turn-on bug was gone. Besides new ATRAC version, more inputs and features. I had one for three years without a glitch (to replace the 510 duh!). Fantastic player IMO. Replaced it just for upgrading reasons, not to do anything with it's performance. Enjoy it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I probably should have given the rep. I've been dealing with at Sony coporate the link to my web site so that she could see the pictures of all my Sony ES gear. At the same time, I should have given her a link to this thread too so she could see what people are saying about Sony customer (dis)service. Well, if Sony continues to jerk me around with the 'JA555ES, I will give my contact there these links. Of course, she probably won't give a rat's a$$. :frowning:
Mike said:
Keith, it seems like I've been reading this thread off and on for months!
It has been two months since my 'JA555ES broke! It broke on Saturday, December 8th, and I first brought it to Sony's Bristol facility on Wednesday, December 12th. The deck first came back from Bristol on Friday, December 21st, and I've been fighting with Sony ever since. What fun. :frowning:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Keith, there seems to be a break in the action. I though the evil Sony wrenchmen were going to give you back your freshly hammered deck by now. Mr. Badwrench proably has some more scuplting to go, eh? Given the lull, maybe what ze wurld vants tu knowz es vhat es jor favourite coloured MD's, Bit Club flames or Zebras? Maybe Hello Kitty? Boredom strikes in many wayz! I keep checking back to see who swerved first in your game of chicken with the Sony octopus. All we are asking is give warranties a chance...Joan Baez might sing that? Just checkng in, best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, no news from Sony yet. I am giving the warranty a chance. Seeing as I just under five years left on the warranty, I could be at this with Sony for quite awhile. :)

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Barton, thanks for the info re my 520. It's nice to have a sense of confidence about this product. Since reading all about the problems folks are having with the Sony 360 DVD player on audioreview.com I'm just waiting for my DVD player to fail. So I've decided to replace it before that happens and shove the 360 into the bedroom where it would be less critical.
I see discussion here about alternatives to Sony MD decks. What about professional decks, such as this one from Tascam....?
http://www.american-digital.com/prod...sp?p=718&c=107
That unit is selling for $469. I'm not in the market for another MD deck, but I spotted this one while looking for a pro CD recorder.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I've come across the Tascam MD-301mkII in my reading up on non-Sony MD decks. While I haven't used the Tascam deck, it would be on my short list if I were deadset on getting a non-Sony MD deck. Of course, there aren't many options if you live in North America. In any event, I once owned a Tascam DA-20mkII DAT deck, and it was a wonderful component. So, I would buy Tascam again.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Mike- If you follow this thread back a little ways, I was just in the market for a pro burner.
I looked at the Tascam CD-RW700 (I have a Tascam DA-40 DAT deck that I *really* like), the HHB 830, and the Marantz 631.
Ended up with the HHB. I encountered too many people that said that they had problems with the Tascam (tends to run hot which can cause problems during burning), and that the Marantz wasn't really used a lot by the "pros" (i.e., recording studios), and that the HHB was, and that it had the best DACs and ADCs. A lot of heresay I know! :) Also rumored that the HHB is based on the Pioneer PDR-609 consumer deck, which is really highly rated on www.audioreview.com. Would explain it, in that the Pioneer has Burr Brown converters.

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Kevin, those are the decks I'm looking at, too. Also the Tascam 222 (can't remember the whole model name), which puts a cassette tape deck and CD burner in the same shell. Probably won't get that, though. I only have a few cassettes of self-recorded live stuff that I want to dub to CD, and I can do that with a stand-alone cassette deck as source.

I am really interested in the Marantz 631 because I've seen it for under $500. Whatever I get must have CD text capability, as I'm tired of programming titles into my megachanger and having that unit's memory fail. I'd rather burn the discs titles (and song titles) onto the CDs and forget about it.

As I mentioned in another thread, soon after I upgrade my Sony receiver with a Yamaha RX-V3000, I'm going to get a Middle Atlantic ERK rack to put my geat in. I buy the custom face plates slowly, but I'll go ahead and look for a pro CD-R deck that's rack-mountable and can use data CDs.

I was glad to hear my 520 MD deck is a keeper, as I don't want to buy the expensive custom rack mounting kits for any component that's not with me for the long haul. That's why the Sony 360 DVD player is getting replaced with a Panasonic RP91.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike said:

I'm tired of programming titles into my megachanger and having that unit's memory fail
What megachanger do you have? The Pioneer PD-F1007 301-disc model (older model) is known for memory dumps. I have not heard of memory dumps occurring with Sony players.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Mike, if pro deck is what you are looking for, then look at Tascam and HHB, and nothing else. Don't even consider Sony's pro line. Denon once made awesome pro decks, but they were aimed at professional DJs, heavy, rugged, great sound and fully mechanical (remember those 1978 betamax? :)), I had a chance to "play" with a couple of them. Keep looking though, but not at Sony.
Good luck.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I have not heard of memory dumps occurring with Sony players.
My M555ES did it once. It has held its info. through a number of short power outages, but one instantaneous "hiccup" from my power company did a number on it one day.

Fortunately, I had a handy backup of all my data contained within the 2-way remote supplied with the unit.

Unfortunately, in a moment of equal parts desperation and stupidity, I engaged the "download" function on the remote, effectively erasing its memory as well. Doh!

I think there is a Nirvis Slink-E in my future...

I took one of my TA-N9000ESs in for service last week. I hope this repair goes smoothly. I'm really glad that I bought 2 of the TA-Ns now. Although there is an audible dropoff in performance going from 2 amps in BTL mode to 1 amp in 5 channel mode, it was a simple matter to remove 1 unit and still keep full functionality with a reasonably high level of performance.

Keith, I hope you at least get some satisfaction in the end of your prolonged ordeal.

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Keith, yep, I have the Pioneer PD-F1007. It has only dumped the memory twice in the several years I've had it -- but that's twice too much!
Ironically, I had it unplugged for several weeks after moving, and it didn't lose anything. One day I came home and it had lost everything (several months after the move and after having plugged it back in). I spent several days putting the titles and artist names back in, and then I bumped the power button and all was lost. Argh! I put a few back on and then cycled the power on and off many times. Kept the memory fine. So, weeks later, I just finished putting the info back in, and the unit is now plugged into a UPS.
Now I'm contemplating putting my stuff into a Middle Atlantic rack. The trick will be moving the changer without disconnecting it from that UPS! :rolleyes:
Keith, sorry to stray off topic from your MD player woes -- but this thread has been interesting as it meanders all over the place.
Barton, when you say look at nothing else other then the Tascam and HHB, are you ruling out the Marantz model I mentioned, or just the Sony? I'm really thinking about ordering the Marantz 631 since the price is right and it has the features I want. There aren't a lot of reviews online, but the ones I've read are positive. Thanks!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim,

I had never heard of a memory dump on a Sony megachanger until reading your post. What a pain. I've been luck with my Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc megachangers, as I've nearly had them for two years and have never experienced a memory dump. That includes going through a move when they were unplugged for about six weeks. However, I won't have to worry about that, as I am copying all the CDs to CD-Rs and am adding CD TEXT via my computer burner.

Sorry to hear you need a repair on your TA-N9000ES. Hope it goes smoothly.

Keith, sorry to stray off topic from your MD player woes -- but this thread has been interesting as it meanders all over the place.
No problem.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Mike- You can get the HHB 830 for under $500 if you look around. And, about 6 weeks ago, Gary at the DAT Store had a used/refurb/B-stock Marantz 631 for around $300.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, Kevin is right. Www.samash.com sells the HHB 830 for $489, and www.fullcompass.com sells it for around the same price. You have to call the latter dealer for their current price. I believe that Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480) sells the HHB unit as well. Oade Bros. has great prices.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Keith, is this thread dead? What happened? I want to know what happened with your situation. Did you get answers from Sony? Will they replace the deck or rebuy it? Say anything.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I think Keith's been outta town but, enquiring minds do want to know... any news Keith? Good, bad or indifferent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ouruslife
Recent bookmarks