What's new

Sony vs Sony (1 Viewer)

Tom*T

Agent
Scott,

How is that TV stand working for you? I was looking at the same one for the WF55 or 60 (haven't decided yet). I was hoping to see a pic of the back. Is there anything as far as cable management? My center channel is too wide to fit in the space provided, the dimensions are 6-7/8"H x 20"W x 9-1/4"D. Do you think it would fit on top of the WF55 or 60? Does that base put the tv at a good viewing height?

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
Very informative post...btw got your email thanks,I tried to reply but it didn't go through (haven't really woke up yet) I will be taking your suggestions with me today. I will be making the rounds today to see witch retailer makes me the best deal...Im going to make them convince me why I shouldnt wait for the Presidents Day sales...
If your base on your set is 39" and I tend to agree with you that the 55 & 60" share the same base, then it will just fit on top of my stand (40")
Also...I printed out some authorized Internet ads so we will see how far those get me.
Also...I will be shopping around for the HDMI cable, I don't think Im going to pay $100+ for a cable where I can get one in the $40-$60 range from the net.
I will let you guys know the experience went...hopefully when its all said and done I can count myself among the WF owners :)

btw...fwiw...I will be pairing this set up with either a Denon 2910 or the Sony 975 DVD players (trying to justify the $300 price diffrence in the Denon)

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

> How is that TV stand working for you?
I really like the stand. It’s not a high quality piece of furniture, but it looks pretty good and matches the décor in the room quite well. It’s designed to hold 240 lbs, and I put 220 on it before I put the 110lb 60WF655 on top. The box the stand comes in is huge; you’re going to need an SUV to bring it home. It took me a pretty long time to put together, five or six hours, and a few beers, but it wasn’t hard. A lot of the connections are these screws you put into one of the walls and a non-threaded nut in the other that you tighten with a screw driver; these aren’t the sturdiest connections I’ve ever made. Although it can hold twice the weight I have on it, if you push on one side, mine does sway a bit, which I’m less than thrilled about. I was thinking of bolting some L-brackets on the inside.

>I was hoping to see a pic of the back.
Here’s a pic of the back, as you can see it isn’t attached to the stand. Trying to run all of my wiring through those little holes would have driven me completely insane.

>Is there anything as far as cable management?
No, unless, like me, you consider a nice big open back the perfect solution. I can’t see through the unit unless I get down on the floor in front of it. The windows on the two side openings are smoked and the component in the top middle blocks the view through there.

>Do you think (a center channel speaker) would fit on top of the WF55 or 60?
No. The TV is very big, but only weighs 110lbs, it’s made of plastic. It’s hard plastic, but it’s angled and I wouldn’t put any weight on it.

James,
Good luck with the shopping.
I've never purchased from Ram Electronics, but there are a number of references to them at HTF, and they make offer some inexpensive DVI cables.

Tom*T

Agent
Thanks Scott - That really answers all my questions! The stand I'd love (Salamander Designs Synergy) is about $900 which would me preclude me from getting the TV! :) The look and price on the Bush is just right. I'd probably leave the back off too for the cables and ventilation so the smoked glass is a nice touch.

I'm going to go ahead and order the stand (don't have an SUV so I'll get it delivered) and keep my eyes open for Presidents day sales on the Sony 55WF.

Thanks again. This forum and guys like yourself really help out HT noobs like me.

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
FINALLY..........I am a proud owner of the Sony WF655...I got such a good deal on it that I ended up upgrading my HK avr110 to a HK 335 (they were giving away a htib worth $200 when you purchased this TV at CC) After conversing with the manager for a while she gave me a $300 credit toward anything home audio...so I ended up with the 335 at a great price. It will be here on Monday so now I have a chance to get my HD box or CableCard if its available....Im a happy camper;)
btw...fwiw...the salesman didn't know what he was talking about. my wife had to find another salesman because she was getting frustrated....she knew more about the set then he did...but...a good deal is a good deal.
Ahhhh...Cant wait to do all that rewiring;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks